Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need to power a synthesizer with a battery...Please Help :)

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
Hello guys, Firstly Id like to thank communities like this for sharing and helping people like me. So.. THANK YOU!!!

I am in need of a way to Power my Arturia Minibrute Synthesizer and a USB hub ( maybe even charge my laptop ) on the street and will not have a power outlet available. I had thought of something but I am not sure if I am on the right track or if there is a better way to get what I need.

I was planning on buying one of those 12v 3000mAh - 9000mAh ( or higher mAh rating ) - then using an 120v inverter I have laying around on it so I could just plug in the included AC charger for the synth and usb hub. ( i would just need like 3 hours of power )

I have included a picture of the synth AC charger - so you can see how much current it outputs. the USB hub outputs 5v - 2.5amps. And my laptop is an old macbook - all i know is that is a 60watts AC adapter ( however I am not very concerned about that because my battery lasts quite a while and my street performances won't last longer than my laptops battery ).

Anyway, I am looking to see if anyone can help me out, and if this is a viable option, or if there is a better one. Of course money is tight and I must do this with as little money as possible, and as long as I can get 3 hours on my synth and usb hub I should be fine.

Again, THANK YOU ahead of time for any answers and I am greatly appreciative!!!IMG_4233.JPG

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I was planning on buying one of those 12v 3000mAh - 9000mAh ( or higher mAh rating ) - then using an 120v inverter I have laying around on it so I could just plug in the included AC charger for the synth and usb hub. ( i would just need like 3 hours of power )

hi,
welcome to EP :)

how about just getting a 12V, 7.2Ah GEL battery and make a cable with plug in end to suit the input to the synth, will last you hours
you can do the charging for the battery at home, there are suitable chargers on eBay etc

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
hi,
welcome to EP :)

how about just getting a 12V, 7.2Ah GEL battery and make a cable with plug in end to suit the input to the synth, will last you hours
you can do the charging for the battery at home, there are suitable chargers on eBay etc

Won't the output of the battery be too strong or something ? I'm afraid of burning out my synth :( - and I'm thinking it may be a very silly question but Volts, amps and wattage and their relation have always been blury to me :( -

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
I read up a few and I am guessing that the synth circuitry will just be drawing as much power as it needs and therefore it is not possible for the battery to damage my synth?

Also.. will I be able to just hook up my USB hub in-line with the synth connection? Will these devices just draw whatever power they need from the battery? Is this like a principal of DC?

Will something like this work by literally tying the wires to a plug and inserting it directly from battery terminals to my synth? = http://ebay.to/2dxpsO2

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The device will take as much power as it needs so long as the voltage and polarity are correct.
Too much voltage or wrong polarity is a sure way of killing the device.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Won't the output of the battery be too strong or something ? I'm afraid of burning out my synth :( - and I'm thinking it may be a very silly question but Volts, amps and wattage and their relation have always been blury to me :( -

Hi ya

I have been out all afternoon/evening, couldn't answer but Duke37 has told what I would have told you
Your PSU shows 12V, that battery I suggested is 12V. Maybe a volt more when charged, It will drop a little when loaded ... ie. the synth is connected
The current rating isn't really important as long as it can supply the minimum needed.
With a 1000mA ( 1A) PSU, I would guess that the synth requires around 800-900mA approx.

That battery I suggested ... 12V 7Ah ( Ah = Amp hour)
that means it can supply 7.2 A for about an hour or conversely it can supply 1A for around 7.2 Hours ( in reality probably around 6.5 - 7 hours)

Dave

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
Awesome guys! Thanks so much for the info :) on my way to buy a battery right away!

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
But what is its input voltage? If 12V, you're ready to go. If not, you'll need a DC/DC converter.

As far as the USB hub it is just a regular US plug so the input its 110-240v Ive included a picture here :) - I figure I could just use a car usb charger to power that inline with the synth from the same battery.

Thank you all again for the help :).

IMG_4249.JPG

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
As far as the USB hub it is just a regular US plug so the input its 110-240v Ive included a picture here :) - I figure I could just use a car usb charger to power that inline with the synth from the same battery.

yup will work well
remember it will be in parallel with the synth across the 12V battery

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The battery has enough power to create a fire if something is shorted so you must add a suitable fuse or circuit breaker in series with it.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
the input its 110-240v Ive included a picture here :) - I figure I could just use a car usb charger to power that inline with the synth from the same battery.
If the USB hub needs an AC 110V supply, you can't use a car usb charger (12V DC to 5V DC converter) to power it.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I think he is talking about bypassing the wall wart shown, and using a 12V to 5V converter commonly used to charge phones in a car to power the equipment with 5V.

Bob

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
I think he is talking about bypassing the wall wart shown, and using a 12V to 5V converter commonly used to charge phones in a car to power the equipment with 5V.

Bob

Yep, this is exactly what I mean.

And just in case anyone cares I ended up getting this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/200874233169 - I couldn't afford the gel one recommended but I think I should be OK with this one.

I also picked up this charger - http://www.ebay.com/itm/251611678789 - cheap but it has trickle and an indicator light.

Again... thank you guys very much :) I cant wait to get my street performance up and running! maybe I post a pic of it all once is ready. I picked up a pair of Sony speakers yesterday for just 5$ to use on my Panasonic RX-DT610 Boom Box ( Its like my makeshift amp ) will run it on D batteries until I find a better way to power it :)

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
The battery has enough power to create a fire if something is shorted so you must add a suitable fuse or circuit breaker in series with it.

Suitable fuse? Anything specific you recommend? What is the most inexpensive way to take this safety precaution?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
And just in case anyone cares I ended up getting this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/200874233169 - I couldn't afford the gel one recommended but I think I should be OK with this one.

looks ideal

I also picked up this charger - http://www.ebay.com/itm/251611678789 - cheap but it has trickle and an indicator light.

should be good :)

Suitable fuse? Anything specific you recommend? What is the most inexpensive way to take this safety precaution?

one of these inline fuse holders and a 2A blade fuse to go with it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-AWG-Gauge...ash=item280435dff5:g:BLgAAOSwjVVVswTa&vxp=mtr

NOTE ... they have shown the red wire as a loop ( tidy manufacturing) you cut it in the middle of the loop to insert into your circuit

Dave

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Hey, once you get out there performing, a video would be good!

Bob

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
IMG_4480.JPG IMG_4481.JPG IMG_4483.JPG IMG_4485.jpg Soooo! I received my battery yesterday and went out busking earlier today :) . I ended up just using the 150watt AC adapter because I needed to plug in the USB hub anyway and thought it was the better option considering I was not able to find the 2amp fuse that was recommended( I have the fuse holder on hand but Im not sure if I will need that setup since the AC adapter has a fuse in itself). It worked out great! I have some picture of my setup here and my girlfriend took a short video that I'm sending over to dropbox and will post later :) - Please don't judge too much I'm actually a novice music producer and everything is live ( the video just shows a sequence that I've created over time, adding instruments over time ) Anyway, hope you guys appreciate my makeshift AC adapter ( switch ) to battery setup :p .

Video link :

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Thanks, glad it worked out for you.

And I learned a new word (busking.)

Bob