Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need to power my Halloween costume

BKFilijew

Oct 28, 2014
I'm going to be building a halloween costume that's made up of Xmas lights. What's the best portable power solution so that I don't have to plug myself in and sit by a wall all night? I'm going to be using 2-3 packs of lights (50 small bulbs in each), each pack says 120V, 0.04 Amps, 4.8 Watts. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

You could try connecting thirteen 9V PP3-type batteries in series, and connecting all the strings across them. It won't last very long - maybe an hour - but it will work and it will be portable. Yes I'm serious.

If you do this, keep everything PROPERLY INSULATED and don't touch the wires! Build it all up before plugging the battery snaps onto the batteries. Amazingly, thirteen little batteries, if connected in series, have enough voltage and power available to kill you, in the right (wrong) circumstances.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I would suggest that any method of powering 120V XMAS lights on one's body would be dangerous.

Please consider using low voltage strings of lights, which are available. We have some that run off 4 AA batteries, and they lasted quite well, getting 10 hours or more out of them.

Bob