Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I think that this is simple... but I know nothing!

White Knuckle Magic Man

Sep 30, 2018
Hi Everyone

First time poster, just did a search for an electronics forum, and found this one.

I am looking to build two or three small mortised reels.
I need for them to be compact, VERY QUIET, and self contained. Activated with some kind of remote.

A Little more information that may help...

What will they be pulling? - A cotton thread, perhaps 4 - 5 meters, with a small weight on the end, a kilo tops.
Power source? - Battery operated preferable
Each one needs to be independent. so a different remote for each, or a multi remote with different buttons? 9is the even a thing? Would I have to make that too???

I would like each to have an on/off switch, for when not in use, and perhaps an LED signal, when they are on, which goes off after a few seconds, and then a visual signal when activated.
I want for them to run when activated for only three to four seconds, then automatically go off, and for there to be a delay up to 10 - 15 seconds when activated, before they do anything...

Does all of that make sense? I know that its pretty specific. I can't think of anything else that may be relevant.

So...

Can I make this myself?
If so, where do i start and what do i need?

Thanks in advance.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Shifting a 'kilo -tops' at what speed?

Practically any motor will shift a kilo weight - suitably geared down of course - but you might have to wait 'days' to get a meter distance if the motor is REALLY small.......

Geared motors are available everywhere:

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/...MItc3Ums_j3QIV7bftCh113wtREAQYASABEgIQi_D_BwE

and the specifications for their load capability is shown - the figure of 0.26kg/cm for the 20:1 reduction motor is the stall point. In other words at a radius of 1cm from the centreline of the motor shaft it would take 0.26kg to STOP the motor. 1cm isn't very far......

To shift 1kg you'd need the 298:1 reduction box which shows a stall of 2.5kg at 1cm (or 1kg at 2.5cm, 0.5kg at 5cm etc).

Of course, a 298:1 reduction means SLOOOWWWW....... so if you wanted 'speed' you'd have to use a bigger motor. Only you can tell.

You could adapt a remote controlled LED battery lighting system - dump the LEDs and connect your motor(s) in place of them...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyLite-Wireless-Remote-Control-Lighting/dp/B00GSMOPOG