Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I want to make DC-DC voltage booster

marlou rentucan

Aug 27, 2017
Hello Everyone! I need help in building my DC-DC voltage booster. I want to buy voltage booster online (https://goo.gl/L7YNrD)/(https://goo.gl/pa1kEL) but I don't have money so i prefer creating it myself since i have a ADALP2000 analog parts kit (https://goo.gl/o18V4D). Now my question is:

Can I make the circuit using the components in ADALP2000 analog parts kit? or anything similar as long as it can convert 3.2V / 5V input TO 12V?

If so, will you help me creating the circuit diagram? It would be a very big help since our city always have a power interruption where we cannot use our wifi modem for internet but i have a lot of batteries(3.2V) and powerbanks (5v). Our Wifi modem requires 12 volts so I think I will connect the DC-DC voltage booster from powerbank/rechargeable battery to wifi modem. Having a lot of homework that requires internet is a frustration to us here. Please help us. Your help can change our lives :)

Thank you everyone! Have a nice day :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Connect 4 of the 3.2 V batteries in series for a battery pack which will power the modem.

marlou rentucan

Aug 27, 2017
Oh thanks for the idea! but i guess it will drain the battery a lot faster. But i will give it a try :)

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
i guess it will drain the battery a lot faster.
Suppose your modem draws 0.5A from a 12V supply.
For any converter, power (current x voltage) out is less than power in.
If you made a DC-DC converter to boost, say, 5V to 12V then the current drawn from the 5V supply would be more than 0.5A x 12/5 = 1.2A.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
I'd try to power your modem once with batteries. I'd guess that if your city has no power your internet company will also lack power. Thus no internet :\

If you can in fact get internet with battery power we can cook up a boost converter for you. You have all the parts you need in that kit. It will be a Frankenstein's monster of parts though. We can build a standard boost converter out of a capacitor an inductor and one of your Schottky diodes ( I didn't check if you have any but I'm guessing you do ) We can then use the linear regulator (ADP3300) to create a variable frequency from your voltage to frequency generator (AD654). What you really need is a 555 timer IC, but I'm working with what you have. That will then switch your transistor (IRF510) which will in turn run your boost circuit. It will of course be unregulated, considering its a constant load that might be okay. Perhaps the guys with here with more grey in their beards could cook that up.

Of course, as Alec_t points out if your power banks can't output at least 1.2A then this won't fly.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I'd guess that if your city has no power your internet company will also lack power.
Most internet 'farms' have their own generators (just as the phone company has their own battery backup supplies).

Lots of modern technology uses low voltage (12V being a base line figure) and it is easily possible to configure a home to default to a 12V source if the mains supply drops out.

A decent (modern) TV will consume some 50W-100W, a modem say 5W and a laptop 50-120W. Total wattage anywhere between 100W and 200W (on average) which, from a decent 12V battery, would allow you to run those items for 8-12 hours continuously before needing a recharge.

Knock up a simple petrol-generator (garden mower motor - 3.5hp) using a couple of car alternators and a couple of batteries and you could be 'off-grid' (for technology items) for a loooong time. Convert the motor to LPG and........