Maker Pro
Maker Pro

IBM Selectric III Revival

CDB

Sep 28, 2018
I got an IBM Selectric III in pretty clean condition and I am trying to revive it... At this time, I have the User Manual, a Troubleshooting Manual and a Parts Manual from IBM or respectable authors. With on-line help, I was able to detect two age-related problems: (1) the motor belt (cracked) and (2) the cycle hub (also cracked), both made from plastic and available new from eBay.

Still, I have an initial problem that I cannot overcome to start taking out the old broken parts and replace them with new parts: I cannot move manually the carriage out of the way. It is stuck on the left. The motor does not help, because the operational shaft (the one that moves the cams) does not rotate: the cracked hub rotates, but does not rotate the shaft, it slips at the junction.

So, my question is very simple: can the carriage moved by hand, i.e., without the force of the motor, cams, etc.?

Please forgive my possibly stupid question... I have not yet filled out my Electronics Point profile, but can tell you that I am an EE professional specialized in semiconductor electronics. The IBM Selectric, a mechanical digital machine has always fascinated me.

I do not even know whether my thread will be accepted as an "electronics" one. It is actually 100% mechanical, and extremely challenging.

With anticipated thanks,

CDB

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Have you checked out Youtube for relevant videos? Seems to be quite a few.

If you require 'in depth' advice it is often useful to post links to the documentation you have and/or the required pages from it.

CDB

Sep 28, 2018
Have you checked out Youtube for relevant videos? Seems to be quite a few.

If you require 'in depth' advice it is often useful to post links to the documentation you have and/or the required pages from it.

Thanks. I believe I have checked all YouTube posts on Selectric III. In all, the carriage is moved with the motor and shaft spinning, which I cannot do. In my case, the carriage is stuck to the left and I cannot move it manually to the right.

Thanks again,

CDB