Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Icom 260A memory back up battery issue

Pilotpaulnz

Feb 18, 2023
HI Guys, I have bought a IC 260A 2m transceiver. It doesn't have a internal battery to hold memory channels, Has anyone tried a capacitor or installed a battery internally?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
HI Guys, I have bought a IC 260A 2m transceiver. It doesn't have a internal battery to hold memory channels, Has anyone tried a capacitor or installed a battery internally?
Measure the units standby current to determine what the consumption is when connected and in 'memory save' status. If the current level is 'acceptable' (determined by the actual current and the length of time you want to save the memory settings for - to get an idea of how large any battery might have to be) you can go from there.

Given the manufacturer didn't fit one by default (they rely on the car battery doing this for you) it may be that the current consumption means a battery that's too large to fit in the existing case of the radio. No reason why you couldn't 'parallel' an external battery though.

There's a pin on the main power socket that is dedicated to retaining the memory - you can measure the current draw there.

Schematic here:

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
And to add to the above that of @kellys_eye , the memory switch on the back will have to be in the ‘on’ position.
People have simply rewired the memory switch to be the power switch but obviously only works when connected to constant power.

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Measure the units standby current to determine what the consumption is when connected and in 'memory save' status. If the current level is 'acceptable' (determined by the actual current and the length of time you want to save the memory settings for - to get an idea of how large any battery might have to be) you can go from there.

Given the manufacturer didn't fit one by default (they rely on the car battery doing this for you) it may be that the current consumption means a battery that's too large to fit in the existing case of the radio. No reason why you couldn't 'parallel' an external battery though.

There's a pin on the main power socket that is dedicated to retaining the memory - you can measure the current draw there.

Schematic here:

that is a dead link :(

1676760289336.png

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
that is a dead link :(
Weird - I actually downloaded the schematic from that exact link..... I'll add it as the pdf I downloaded so anyone can reference it;

Attachments

• IC-260_Schematic.pdf
    438.6 KB · Views: 3