Maker Pro
Maker Pro

(Idea to Reality) Small Buggy Car to Find a Transmitting Signal

isakiwanuka

Jan 28, 2012
HELLO TO ALL READERS

thank you first all for taking time to read.

i have a project to do next year for my last year of electronics degree

i want a head start as i have good equipment at home

my idea is to build a buggy car with 3 wheels and 2 motors ..i want the car also to detect when it is next to walls and objects so it doesn't crush into them.

i then want the buggy car to be able to find the transmitting signal which could be placed in a different room and the buggy car to find it .

i know i will need to use sensors and motors and a transmitter and receiver

i don't want to control the buggy car i just want it to find the transmitting signal.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE THINK AND ANY IDEAS ON HOW I CAN MAKE THIS IDEA REAL ...EG SENSORS THAT I CAN USE , TRANSMITTER/ RECEIVER CIRCUITS OR OTHER WAYS THE BUGGY CAN FIND THE SIGNAL

I WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

daGenie

Jan 23, 2012
for the sensors, i feel u should use infrared phototransistors or photodiodes............these sensors should be placed all around the car..........right next to the sensors should be infrared LEDs that flash a very high rate...............the principle behind this is that any time the car comes close to a wall, the infrared rays being propagated will be reflected back to the receiver...............the closer it gets to an obstacle, the stronger the signal detected by the sensors............

i don't know whether it will work............it's just a suggestion................i would have suggested light sensors like LDRs or phototransistors but the configuration would be affected by the light in the room and visible light LEDs would have to be connected instead............the truth is, it depends on what you want............i would advise you use phototransistors or photodiodes though............they are much faster in responding than LDRs...............for the transmitter and receiver circuits, i feel the best solution is radio............or maybe you could use ultrasonic waves, although i feel you should do a lot of research first.............that's my 2 cents.............good luck

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
If you want to find a signal source in another room while avoiding obstacles and walls, the buggy will need an onboard computer with a maze navigation program. daGenie's suggestion about the sensors is fine but I dont think the IR LEDs need to flash - as long as they are shielded from the sensors the reflected light should be enough to trigger them.

As for the signal source, ultrasound wont penetrate walls. You're better using low frequency radio waves. For the computer to be able to measure the strength of the signal, you will probably need an ADC with at least 16 bits resolution.

Last edited:

isakiwanuka

Jan 28, 2012
what tools can i use to navigate to signal

i was think of building the buggy car first with 3 motors with 3 wheels

den i was planning place 4 sensors either ultrasonic or infra red to detect the walls or other obsticals .

i will then program the car to avoid objects using a pic...

after i have accomplished this i will then be looking to place a receiver on the buggy to pick up the transmitting signal ...

am i able to use a pic to some how guide the buggy to the transmitting signal while it avoids wall and obsticals

and i ve heard that i could use wireless or a computer for navigation but this sounds complicated if possible how am able to use these tools and can i have a link to websites where i can find these kind of tools.

thank you very much for your time i am always open to ideas

isakiwanuka

Jan 28, 2012
pic

am i able to set the transmitting signal at a certain frequency and program the receiver+pic to scan for that frequency and then when found is able to measure the strengths of signal and keep measuring the strengths of the signal till it finds it