Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ideas for a school experiment?

Thesecret20111

Apr 11, 2014
Hello everyone!

I'm currently studying year 12 physics in school and I need to write a report on an experiment of my choosing. I've decided I want to do something with electronics as we've covered this quite a lot in class lately and I find it really interesting. Would anyone have any ideas of a possible experiment I could do? I need to form a hypothesis/problem meaning that I need to be able to accurately collect data (1 or more variables).

I have basic equipment at home including: a soldering iron, wire, bunch of random value caps, some standard PNP and NPN transistors, random value resistors, low voltage lightbulbs, old computers, an air-cored solenoid, a few 555 timers, voltmeter (also measures current and ohms) and a couple of DC motors. - Basically just a bunch of random stuff I've bought/salvaged.

Also I should mention that I wont be able to do super complex things, we've only covered the basics and I have only a limited research time. So I basically need it complex enough to include some nice formula and be able to collect data but not too complex that it turns into a research assignment.

I'd be very, very thankful for any ideas! :)

Thesecret20111

Apr 11, 2014
Isn't there something more specific you'd LIKE to try?
Something you're curious about that we can offer insight into?
Thanks for your reply! Im sorry I was being so unspecific. I was actually consider doing something with electromagnets or maybe induction as these would give me room to talk about magnetism, fields and more general electronics. The problem with these ideas is that I'm not sure what I would be "hypothesising" about. I chose electronics as a topic as I find it more interesting than motion and light physics but perhaps I need to think more about what's easier to do in the long run.

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Every high-school physics lab seems to have a Tesla Coil. But how many have a solar-powered Tesla Coil? OK, you probably don't have enough time to build the whole device; however, what about looking at just one aspect of the problem of miniaturizing the device for solar power? Such as optimization of the configuration and dimensions of the mutually coupled resonators? What would be the best resonance frequency for a tiny Tesla Coil intended to be powered from solar cells? It is a question that would be compatible with your interest in electromagnets, induction, magnetism, and fields.

Damien

Jan 28, 2015
Tesla coil! You'll be the most popular kid in school! =D =D ...or shunned for being weird. =( Could go either way. Proceed with caution. =/

Oh also maybe get everyone to sign an insurance waver before you power the thing up.

Skezza

May 3, 2014
Wireless Charging. I did this as a hobby experiment on XDA devs (find the thread over there if you like), you can buy a Wireless Charging pad which comes with a ribbon connector and a USB port. Snip the port off, disassemble a test phone.... or in this case, your phone! solder onto the USB port and then flatten the pad onto the rear of the internal case.

Bim bam bosh, wireless charging ;) If you use a good pad, you could also demonstrate it as an effective solution for the MicroUSB port which is the worst port ever to be released, ever.... like seriously ever!