Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identification of a burnt resistor in a Gardner Bender GDT-3200 multimeter

Crazycatlady69

Feb 14, 2021
Hi, I'm new here and have a question about a burnt resistor in a Gardner Bender GDT-3200 multimeter we have. I got the link to this page from a guy that suggested to try here, off another e lol electronics page I had posted to. I think it may have burnt recently after my fiance had used the meter to check something of A/C, I don't remember what but seems it was either on a lamp light socket or it was an outlet on a cord. & He may have used the wrong setting on the meter to do that with. Anyway, we tried using the meter the other day, not knowing anything was wrong with it, to test something else & it was not working correctly. I then started checking some AA batteries after replacing the batteries in the meter with new ones, thinking that was pry our problem with it. It didn't read the batteries at all, only stayed at 0.00. for anything else, the screen read 0.ol (0.OL). I think that's what it was supposed to read anyhow. I'd not seen that display before on there. Then I noticed a burnt resistor in the back on circuit panel. Idk what the value is for that resistor tho & was wondering if anyone did know. & If there would be a resistor that's compatible or exactly the same, on any computer boards of any kind, because I've got several of those and old computers that we could get one from to fix this, if there is. We are very low income so it would be great if we can fix the meter this way, instead of having to wait for $$ for buying a new meter. Ice attached a pic of the burnt area. I'm also wondering slightly about if the resistor next to the circled one looks burnt also, as it seems to look a lil darker on each end of it in the pic, but doesn't look that way when I just view it with my eyes. I've not yet taken the board out of the meter to look at the other side for any more problem areas. I was going to but my fiance didn't want me to at the time. The burnt resistor is in spot R27 on the circuit board & circled in red in my pic. Thanks in advance for any possible help.

Attachments

• img_1613091195416(1).jpg
    img_1613091195416(1).jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 7

Crazycatlady69

Feb 14, 2021
Crap the red circle in my pic covers the part next to the one that's burnt for sure. So no one would be able to see it to let me know if they think that other one may be burnt too. Sorry, & here's another pic.

Attachments

• img_1613277221663.jpg
    img_1613277221663.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 7

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Resistor is beyond recognition.
Given it was mains related damage then probably gone beyond repair.
Chances are other associated components blew up at the same time.
Quite usuable multimeters can be had for as little as $20.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I can't find a schematic for this meter. Without schematic you'd need a second, working meter to find out which resistor goes there. I'm sorry but @Bluejets' advice is probably the best you will get.

Crazycatlady69

Feb 14, 2021
Resistor is beyond recognition.
Given it was mains related damage then probably gone beyond repair.
Chances are other associated components blew up at the same time.
Quite usuable multimeters can be had for as little as $20.
Thank you.