Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identify 1960's Diode Manufacturer By Logo?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I used to know (now old) electronic component manufacturers.
When I was younger I just never realized companies would merge or go out of business.
This 1960's company made many of my diodes, it's logo is the capital letter 'H', with the crossbar in the letter replaced with a
lightning bolt. Any of the old guys here remember who that manufacturer was?
Thanks

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Any of the old guys here remember who that manufacturer was?
I will pass on making a joke.
I would not want to offend everyone here. At the same time that is...;)
It's not a lightning bolt but it's close.
photo_1684875941926.png

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The ink is too faded to have it show-up in a picture.
It's not Harris (unless they had an earlier logo with a lightning bolt instead of a waveform).
This is a curiosity thing for me.
I thought I got-in on the ground floor when TTL was the big to-do in the early 1970's
I used to know all of the up and coming companies back then. Then they started merging and
going belly-up and new start-ups took off. About 10 years ago I called Fairchild (which changed
hands somewhere along the line), and they swore they never made the diode (with the Fairchild
logo on it). I realized I was talking to people who weren't even born when that diode was made.
During the restructuring of the company, the new owners apparently just destroyed all of the old
data sheets because the parts weren't being made any more.
So much for internet searches of 1960's/70's electronic manufacturers that don't exist any more.
Thanks for giving my search a shot, Delta Prime & kellys_eye.
Those old companies probably aren't of much interest to anybody nowadays (except me, who
still has parts from that era). I can read the component identification fine, I was just curious
about who made it. (Just like that 'ID' TO-3 package I asked about in an earlier post)
.... I don't think it's dementia yet, just a lot of years of not seeing some of these logos in a long time.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Harold Kapp, first thing, asked for a picture.
I'll go back through my box of diodes and find one that isn't faded.
I see not only my own curiosity is peaked on this.
I'm probably mistaken, but I think in the 1960's primarily the US and Britain
were the big semiconductor mfgrs, so I though this would be an easy one.
When I find this 'H' with a lightning bolt in the center of the 'H', I'll post it
here. (I've got a LOT of diodes to look through)
Thanks for the interest in this.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Here's the picture of that letter 'H' with a lightning bolt through it. Maybe it's a Roman Numeral 2 with a lightning bolt?
Any guesses as to what the name of the company was?
As an added bonus to other curious members, I'm also showing a manufacturer logo I've seen a lot but couldn't remember.
The letter 'T' with a dip in the top left side of the 'T'. On that one I found another device with the full name of the company,
which was Transitron (Out of Boston, went belly-up in 1986).
Thanks again for those who took the time to try to identify the 'H' (or Roman Numeral 2).

Attachments

• DSCN5620.jpg
    DSCN5620.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN5622.jpg
    DSCN5622.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 11

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Whoops, didn't see the 'H' picture in the first post, so reposted it here and don't know how to delete this repeated post.
Here's the picture of that letter 'H' with a lightning bolt through it. Maybe it's a Roman Numeral 2 with a lightning bolt?
Any guesses as to what the name of the company was?

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 7

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
And so I said to myself . . . . . . .MYSELF ! . . . . . that certainly looks like an old 50-60's vintage Hoffman Erect-ronics unit !
Viz . . .

1685702798687.png
I particularly remember them as being very big on first generation zener diodes.
BTW . . . . . Transitron for your other 2 diodes . . . . .

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks 73's de Edd for identifying that manufacturer, and Harald Kapp for going the step further and providing proof positive that 73's de Edd (and this old guy) still have what counts in the memory department. Let some college kid fresh out of school do what you two did, I'd like to see that. They may not be interested in 'old school', but there are still a lot of those old components floating around, and
it's good to know what they are, let alone take a trip down memory-lane to identify the manufacturers who started the semiconductor revolution.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
They may not be interested in 'old school', but there are still a lot of those old components floating around
Tell me about it! I came across a couple capacitors from two different companies Monsanto and Union Carbide I knew I should have kept them but I didn't want to glow at night.
;)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The 'bright boys' in the 1950's, 60's, and 70's were the ones who got the ball rolling into what electronics is today.
The 'bright boys' today consider early electronics tinker-toys for rubes.
What the hell. Out with the old, and in with the new.
In another 10 years today's components will be the fossils, and the guys who master them now will be the dinosaurs.
When I got into the business vacuum tubes ruled the roost, transistors gave way to integrated circuits. I've forgotten more
about what I learned during the last 50 years, than I could ever learn about the new stuff. Evolution and extinction aren't
confined to just Darwin's 'On The Origin of the Species'.
Funny to realize just how much of my life I spent working on Monsanto and Union Carbide equipment.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
What the hell. Out with the old, and in with the new.
I used to hear that all the time growing up. but now that I'm grown up. I am terrified because.
"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country."—Kurt Vonnegut;)