Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identify a trimmer

Edugimeno

Jan 29, 2017
Hi there.
It should be an easy question but I'm struggling to identify (so I can order a similar one) trimmer.
Its is horizontal 15mm diameter 10K trimmer. The board where it belongs is the main control board for a home/water heater system. I had a bucket with chlorine right underneath this heater and when it had a water leak, the gasses from the chlorine rusted everything in this thing. I repaired all the parts but the temperature control is acting up. I measured the resistance at this trimmer (temp control) and it goes up and down all over the place so it proves to be affected as well.

Now I need to find a replacement, but I don't really know the nomenclature used to refer to these trimmers.
The key thing is the (aparently special) shaft hole, which as you can see has like an M shaped opening, and also I can't find if its linear or log.

Markings are:
Front: Piher Spain
Side: 10K 424 ME

Anyone can point to any valid replacement for it that uses the same shaft shape?

Thank you!

Attachments

• trimmer.jpg
    trimmer.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 124

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It will be linear, and the hole is "x" shaped.

Unless something mates with this trimpot, the shape of the hole is insignificant as long as you have a screwdriver with which to make the adjustment.

Edugimeno

Jan 29, 2017
Well first of all thanks for your reply.
Yes I was guessing it would be linear, I think log pots are only for audio equipment.
But the shape is not X at all (I have it here in front of me), it is like a square with a notch entering at one side. (see attached)
And actually the shape matters as there is an external control (dial) connected to it by a plastic shaft to adjust the desired temperature.
I guess I can always make if fit somehow...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170416_233323.jpg
    20170416_233323.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 101

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Seeing it in close-up now, I see what you mean.

It is likely a custom part or one made in very small quantities and not stocked by places like digikey. If it is available, you might have to purchase a minimum quantity (which might be a huge number)

The manufacturers name is clearly visible, I would probably try reaching out to them. If you're really lucky you might find someone who will send you a "sample" -- they would almost certainly be unable to handle an order for 1 unit. (Or they might be able to point you to someone who has them for individual sale)

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Edugimeno. . . . .

I see board builds that use that PIHER brand trim pots that have made it 15000 mile across the waters to us. So it seems likely that YOU are right at their doorsteps, where you are.

Your rotor hole seems to be either the R or B option on page 40.

The real kicker might be a minimum order aspect, in which case you have to get the easier X or screwdriver slot options and hope that you will then be able to file enough of the old shaft away, for it to then be a trued and symmetrical screwdriver shaft of the existing shaft, such that it will not bind.

PIHER SHEET :

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/325/12-PT10v03-6148.pdf

73’s de Edd

Edugimeno

Jan 29, 2017
Thanks Steve and Edd for your replies.
My trimmer is 15mm in diameter so I guess there would be a PT-15 series instead of this PT-10 series one linked above.
If funny but none of those rotos match mine....It should have an indent INWARDS in one side.
I guess I will order jut any generic horizontal 10K 15mm trimmer and make it fit YES or YES lol, provided how hard it looks it's going to be, in the case I end up finding a provider, to get just one sample from them

Thanks everyone here for their time!!