Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identifying an individual to a system - Ardiuno

Robk9

Jan 28, 2017
Quick few details to get you's up to speed. Project overview: An Ardiuno controls two buttons (simplest explanation)
Problem: Additionally I need to have the Ardiuno identify my phone or something else that is private/personal to me before it activates the buttons.

So guys this is the part where I need you, Iv browsed all over and want to avoid RFID all together however as a last resort I'll accept it. Bluetooth and iPhones don't mix very easily (payments/licensing with apps ext) Iv loosely considered gps and thousands of other ideas. Maybe wifi? Probably more hastle than it's worth. All in all the phone could be a red hearing to this problem, I simply need a way to identify myself to the system and preferably not many others. Would love to here from you guys with any thoughts!
Cheers, Rob.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
If your talking about a land line phone connected to your arduino you could send it DTMF codes to recognize you.

Chris

Robk9

Jan 28, 2017
Hey Chris, thanks for the reply however to clarify it is an iPhone unfortunately

- Rob

adamq

Dec 17, 2013
Does it have to be wireless, and arduino? I'm not very familiar with arduino, but if you use an old model A rpi, you have the GPIO for the buttons/relays/whatever, and if you connect the phone via USB, you can get device info that way (specifically serial number), say from lsusb....

It might be possible with arduino, again, not sure...

Just a thought.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I wonder if having it recognize your keyfob would be doable? It would eliminate a phone altogether. If not ebay has heaps of kefob transmitters and receivers ...cheap!

Chris

adamq

Dec 17, 2013
I was thinking a keyfob also, except he doesnt want to do RFID... Too bad, you could use an existing fob, even.

Robk9

Jan 28, 2017
Does it have to be wireless, and arduino? I'm not very familiar with arduino, but if you use an old model A rpi, you have the GPIO for the buttons/relays/whatever, and if you connect the phone via USB, you can get device info that way (specifically serial number), say from lsusb....

It might be possible with arduino, again, not sure...

Just a thought.

think it's going to have to work wirelessly for my needs. However I never even considered that which is interesting!

Robk9

Jan 28, 2017
I was thinking a keyfob also, except he doesnt want to do RFID... Too bad, you could use an existing fob, even.

I think I am going to resort to RFID, although I'm really unfamiliar with it probably have to do my homework and get back to you

adamq

Dec 17, 2013
Does the iPhone have NFC? I'm not familiar with the different models

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Does it have to work over a distance? Are you allowed to touch it? IF you are what about a Biometric sensor.
Cheers
Adam

Robk9

Jan 28, 2017
Does the iPhone have NFC? I'm not familiar with the different models

The iPhone6s does have NFC however apple has it basically locked down (starting to sound like the same story whenever apple steps into the game, similar issues with Bluetooth). Hopefully in the future apple will open it up but for now it's wasted potential
Cheers, Rob.

Robk9

Jan 28, 2017
Using biometric sensors is now in contending with RFID for the only two things that are plausibly going to work I think. I'm worried about the cost, power consumption, and reliability of a fingerprint scanner though I'll keep you updated

UPDATE: 1:48am in Australia where I am, think I'm letting this project get the better of me ahahaha. Jailbreaking the iPhone is definitely on the cards as well after a quick search. Probably will have an answer for you guys tomorrow cheers for all your help it's been great!

Cheers, Rob.

Last edited: