Maker Pro
Maker Pro

IGBT help needed

jjr

Aug 8, 2015
I am a newbie at theses IGBT'S.
I am kinda confused on what I really have. It is a electronic device on my forklift that I have at home. I purchased one of these years ago and it was call a IGBT( I Think) . The Cat part number is 97106 03000 which they tell me it crosses over to a 927566. I have seen this last part number I listed called a a darlington power transistor, GTR Module, and of coarse IGBT. Can someone clear this up for me please? Now for the big problem, how do you check these? I have watched videos to no avail. I have the paper that came with the one I bought years ago and on the back it has a static testing chart on it. The forklift has three of these units on it. One for the hydraulic motor and two for the drive motor (all 36v DC) None of these check out with the static testing chart. I understand the collector is on the bottom and I have three terminals on top. The big post looks like the emitter and the other two are B and BX. In my instance the BX is not used. At $200.00 to $300.00 each I would like to check them first. Sorry if the explanation is poor but I really have been working on this for months.

Thanks In Advance
jjr

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Sorry for waiting so long to respond. I was hoping that another member with hands on familiarity of IGBJTs would chime in by now. Unfortunately the part numbers you posted are not OEM numbers. At this point there's no way to find the manufacturer's DataSheet for it.

We may be able to provide you with a basic Good - Bad test though.

Before retirement I had only one exposure to IGBJTs, so I'm no expert by any means. In fact I have about 19 IGBJT models in my Spice library, so I decided to run a few DC Analysis curves on a few of them. The results surprised me because I didn't think the Gate - Emitter junction (Ige) would draw any static state current at all. My curves indicate otherwise. I've always thought that the Gate - Emitter junction would behave much like an NCHMOSFET, which has an Rgs (Gate to Source Resistance) near infinity paralleled by capacitance.

Chris

EDIT: No. A Darlington Transistor and an IGBJT are two very different components.

Last edited:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The part #s are most likely In-House numbers.
Can you post the pic of the paper.
A schematic of the forklift would also help.
You mention Hyd motor, is this a Hyd pump? as they are not usually rpm controlled?
I tried to upload a pdf but the site does not appear to allow them?
M..

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Odd. The File Upload dialog indicates that PDFs are accepted but I tried too (65KB) and got a Server Error.

Chris

jjr

Aug 8, 2015
This is how I think the igbt works. The unit mounts to a pos battery plate (collector) , the emitter goes to the drive motor, and the b gets connected to the accelerator pedal. The farther you push the pedal down more (pos) voltage goes to the b terminal. In turn the more voltage applied to b the more current flow will flow from the collector to emitter in which it goes to the 36volt dc drive motor to go faster. The forklift has two off these side by side. When the pedal is totally depressed another circuit comes in and engages a bypass contactor . At that point the igbt's are out of the circuit. Full current from the battery goes to the drive motor for fast speed. I tried to upload a pdf but an error occurred twice. I will post the two pdf"s when they fix the upload problem.

Thanks Again jjr

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If that is so, it is rather primitive as the IGBT has to dissipate more heat than when simply switching, most methods now are PWM controlled so the switching device is either on or off, not in the intermediate/linear range.
M.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I'm freaking out over here. Either the IGBJT spice macros that Tina supplies are TFOS or I'm going blind! The DC curves I've I've run have been totally unimpressive. The ON State Vce that I get would fry them in the real world. After simulating 12 models I get results that would have the IGBJT dissipating far more power than the load!???? :eek:

I'm beginning to believe that I should be thankful that I had to deal with them only once over my entire career.

Chris

jjr

Aug 8, 2015
I will try to send these pics. Can someone explain why I can't upload a pics?

Thanks jjr

jjr

Aug 8, 2015
OK, these are the pics that I have. Sure looks like a darlinton pair to me but thats why I'm here. If it is can it be checked? Thaks again
jjr

Attachments

• IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 162

jjr

Aug 8, 2015
Sorry for being a pain but are these two jpg's the same part?(T1D and 2.jpg) , Or am I missing something? I did a google search on part #927566 which is a Cat# made by Fuji Electric and found the part number listed as a darlington pair as shown at this website http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/927566-fuji.html. I did call Fuji electric America for assistance and was told I would to email an production engineer. So far no data sheet has been found. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Again jjr

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 98

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
The schematic symbols indicates Darlington Transistors not IGBJTs. In your case they're high power HONKERS! I think we can provide you with a basic testing method.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I was hoping to find a datasheet on them. No luck there but did find them sold on Ebay

Chris