Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ikegami Tm14-16R CRT Monitor repair

Mecrookie

Mar 24, 2023
Hi everyone I have an issue with an Ikegami crt monitor from 1992 I recently got. When powered on I get a distinctively loud flyback transformer sound (sounds like someone saying eh eh eh... in quick succession) . There is also no image on the screen but all front panel lights light up. When degauss is pressed I can distinctively hear that faintly. When I opened it up I noticed these spark gaps on the back of the socket board that were burnt to a crisp. I also looked at the main board and desoldered some components to find discoloration beside 2 transistors with their heatsinks. I have attached some pictures and the service manual below so that you might know what is going on. Thank you!

Attachments

• Ikegami1.jpg
    Ikegami1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Ikegami2.jpg
    Ikegami2.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Ikegami3.jpg
    Ikegami3.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 4
  • TM1416_2016_service.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Could be a defective tube (internal short) caused the spark gaps to fail.

Not much point in trying to fix the electronics unless you can determine the 'quality' of the picture tube (tester).

Alexixx

Apr 1, 2023
I agree with the previous speaker. It is unlikely that you will be able to fix it. Give it up.

Mecrookie

Mar 24, 2023
Ok so good news. I got new spark gaps (called gdts now) after talking with Digikey they came up with suitable replacements for me. I soldered it all in and didnt get any video, and I saw the gdts were glowing I thought ok this is probably dead. I left it for a bit and later on decided to try adjusting the knobs on the flyback itself. I finally got an image, albeit a pretty shaky one but good colours, the flyback noise is still pretty apparent at this time. I had it on for a few min until I heard a bang and saw arching coming from the flyback transformer going to the metal plate beside it. I believe the issue is now the flyback so if anyone can let me know how to test it to see if it is indeed the problem that would be cool! I took it out of circuit already just havent got the time/knowledge to test it yet.