Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I'm looking for 12v. LED's in red and yellow that cast light like a regular bulb.

Tinker Unique

Dec 1, 2014
I'm making a "project" and I want to find LED's that cast light like a regular bulb, and not just a 'spot'. I've tried to use my Dremel to "dimple" the top of LED's and that works, but I want to light an AREA. I used to be a regular Radio Shack customer, but they're gone. Any help appreciated.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look at chip on board (COB) LEDs.

A 3 to 5W COB LED with an appropriate driver may be what you're looking for.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
No 'single' LED I know of has 100% coverage for luminance output - they are ALL limited by their physical construction.

The best results I ever had from a 'modified' light LED source was when I put white LEDs into ping pong balls!

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
I wonder if you could do a bulb like LTH5MM12VFR4100-ND this is a 12V 4500 mcd LED. Only has a 16° lights, however maybe with a lens like L30031-ND it may give some decent light.
4341_sml.jpg
Not sure it would be enough for a room light though. At least not just one of them.

Also have same in yellow. LTH5MM12VFR4700-ND and L3033-ND

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Why start with a narrow angle LED when much wider ones are commonly available. High power LEDs for lighting are typically 120 degrees.

Bob

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
Why start with a narrow angle LED when much wider ones are commonly available. High power LEDs for lighting are typically 120 degrees.

Bob
I was having a hard time finding a larger angle LED that would work on the 12v he was asking for. I agree if you have the ability to use a driver there are a ton of high power options that would wider angles. Since he did not reply to the COB option above I was just throwing out additional ideas.

Incony

Apr 4, 2017
I was having a hard time finding a larger angle LED that would work on the 12v he was asking for. I agree if you have the ability to use a driver there are a ton of high power options that would wider angles. Since he did not reply to the COB option above I was just throwing out additional ideas.
If i had an idea, a light bulb is a single point source - a filament that glows.. one option might be to put a chrome ball bearing as that focal point... and point leds at it. to achieve a glowing ball of light? the chrome ball reflects light and if covered in light.. becomes the 360 glow? the only way i can see that you can recreate a filament without using one.. is to copy its effect.. and fool the eye So - In theory one would only need one plane of leds in 360 degrees around the ball.. to recreate a 360 degree line of light... It would only look good with leds of sufficient power to hide their own bodies around the ball when on.. The ball would become one intense line of light in 360 degrees, and then diffused above and below - a 1 cm diameter ball ? The problem in trying to create a line of light is only really done well by a laser... But a number of very small but powerful leds might achieve that effect in reverse.. The light shines in and then is reflected out... rather than shining out first,,? i just share ideas... another option but far more complicated to achieve is the same principle that a scanner light source has.. a tube light ? one might achieve that with only two leds.. shining into the ends of a diffraction tube. How one makes a small glass tube emit light of uniform brightness along its length, would be where the skill comes in.. sand blast it maybe? put a chrome rod in it?

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Put 6 120 degree LEDs on the face of a cube. You can put them in two strings of 3 + a resistor to run off 12V.

Bob

Tinker Unique

Dec 1, 2014

Bob
I'm wanting to use a series of them in a project started. The areas are small and about 3/8" deep, and irregular in shape. The shapes are 1/4" to 1/2" wide and from 1 1/2" to 3"long. The LED's are to be centered and I would like each 'area' to light up with an LED. I do not want to use small auto bulbs because they may be encased in resin on a spare tire cover. Much thanks for the info, but where do I find these "COB" lights ? <( not familiar with the term/application)

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You can search eBay for "COB LEDs".

But now you describe (kinda) what you're wanting to do, I think what you want is a "straw hat" LED.

These have something similar to an inverted conical depression in the top of them which makes them emit most of the light radially rather than axially.

Something else to search for :)