Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I'm new here, looking for help

Art Johnson

Feb 17, 2016
I need a "thermo disc switch" type T24 #8708. Does anyone know where I could get a couple? TIA

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Art Johnson . . . . . .

All of the Amerikanski manufactured brands that I am familiar with, all have different part number prefixes than that .
The only T24's that I am seeing are being from China . . .as in :

http://switch.sale.fustat.com/c1231704-automatic-reset-thermostat

There are 2 pages of different mechanical mount configurations . . .

t24_xf1_tb_pps_ksd301_bimetal_thermostat_switch.jpg

Plus that #8708 doesn't seem to relate , unless this is from a 30 year old piece of equipment, and a China sourcing probably would not have been involved back then.
The one additional magical number that you need is the trip temperature and that is usually around the shell periphery or on the bottom SS disc cover , and is usually being a centigrade value..
What part/equipment is this protective device being associated with.

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Johnson

Feb 17, 2016
Thank you for the reply.
There is an "080-20" on the crimped face.
This part is used in a current Kats engine heater. I called the mfg., Five Star and they wouldn't sell me one or give me any information. Ihave four tractors and three trucks these are mounted on because of the cold in Nevada.
They evidently want me to buy and use a complete heater when these this fail. I don't want to change the whole unit, with the loss of anti-freeze, and the time it takes to do the change. And they seem to fail on the coldest day when the wind is blowing.
I just want to change this switch.
Thanks again, Art

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Go to an appliance parts store. They should have the equivalent in perhaps Klixon brand, from their interchange tables.

That thermoswitch allows current to flow when cold until the heated attached part reaches a preset temperature, then opens circuit. If you have an idea of what temperature the heater should put in the engine (80F?); the suggested store will have the one that will work. And cheap.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Art Johnson . . . . .

That's just not being right . . . lets just see if we can correct for that injustice.

With your forthcoming info, with those mystical and magic numbers I am seeing a spec of 80 degrees centigrade and a 20 degree differential swing.
So would it seem that those two temperature thresholds given below, will be properly fitting your situation with a Katz heater.

The units thermal snap disc, in its mechanical mounting, is sensing heat temperature change until a threshold of 80 degrees C / or / 176 degrees F is reached and the

thermostat disc clicks to an open circuit, and then the unit is without power until it cools down to 60 degrees C / or / 140 degrees F and the thermostat clicks to a closed circuit again to recycle and heat
up the water again.

Check out this units specs in the center left of this data sheet:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CS708025Y/317-1529-ND/2195543

R53%20Series%20(Y%20ending).jpg

These units are only $6.87 a copy . . . . . .with merely 805 of 'em left in stock. (Eat yer' heart out 5 Star)

If your Katz unit is being the circulating tank heater type , this thermo units switching capability can handle up to the Katz 1000 watt heating unit
and that Katz units temp is doing its switching off at 175 F and then kicks back in after dropping down to the 135 F cool down threshold , certainly thats close enough.

73's de Edd

Art Johnson

Feb 17, 2016

Sir Art Johnson . . . . .

That's just not being right . . . lets just see if we can correct for that injustice.

With your forthcoming info, with those mystical and magic numbers I am seeing a spec of 80 degrees centigrade and a 20 degree differential swing.
So would it seem that those two temperature thresholds given below, will be properly fitting your situation with a Katz heater.

The units thermal snap disc, in its mechanical mounting, is sensing heat temperature change until a threshold of 80 degrees C / or / 176 degrees F is reached and the

thermostat disc clicks to an open circuit, and then the unit is without power until it cools down to 60 degrees C / or / 140 degrees F and the thermostat clicks to a closed circuit again to recycle and heat
up the water again.

Check out this units specs in the center left of this data sheet:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CS708025Y/317-1529-ND/2195543

R53%20Series%20(Y%20ending).jpg

These units are only $6.87 a copy . . . . . .with merely 805 of 'em left in stock. (Eat yer' heart out 5 Star)

If your Katz unit is being the circulating tank heater type , this thermo units switching capability can handle up to the Katz 1000 watt heating unit
and that Katz units temp is doing its switching off at 175 F and then kicks back in after dropping down to the 135 F cool down threshold , certainly thats close enough.

73's de Edd

Art Johnson

Feb 17, 2016
Mr. 73s de Edd:
Thank you so much for the lead. I think it will do the trick.
Warmest regards, Art