Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Imac g3 tray loading

PtrkLnk

Jan 20, 2012
I got an old 1998 iMac g3 tray loader. It is a really bad computer, and I am going to get it taken apart, and replace the insides of it. The problem is not replacing the stuff inside of it, I know how to do that. The problem is getting it apart. I was talking to a friend that said something about how the tube on the screen can build up static, and if you touch it you can get killed. I have also seen things online saying you have to be careful removing it.

Is this thing actually dangerous, and is there some sort of precaution I should take?

here is a picture of one like it.
imac%20side%20view.jpg

twister

Feb 12, 2012
I got an old 1998 iMac g3 tray loader. It is a really bad computer, and I am going to get it taken apart, and replace the insides of it. The problem is not replacing the stuff inside of it, I know how to do that. The problem is getting it apart. I was talking to a friend that said something about how the tube on the screen can build up static, and if you touch it you can get killed. I have also seen things online saying you have to be careful removing it.

Is this thing actually dangerous, and is there some sort of precaution I should take?

here is a picture of one like it.
imac%20side%20view.jpg

Yes, high voltage is dangerous. I discharge the cathode ray tube with a high voltage probe that is connected to ground. If you don't have a probe, you can take a screwdriver with a plastic handle and clip a jumper wire to the steel and to ground on the chassis. There will be a high voltage wire going to the side of the picture tube and it has a rubber adapter to fit around the hole. Slip the screw driver under the rubber adapter and discharge the tube. There will be other high voltage capacitors too, in the power supply. Take the screwdriver blade and short them across. Always keep one hand in your pocket when doing this because if the voltage goes from one hand to the other across your heart, it can stop it. If it just hits on one hand, it will hopefully, just make you a lot smarter the next time. ha :eek:

PtrkLnk

Jan 20, 2012
OK, I will do that. Once you discharge the tube, can it work again, or does that break it?