Maker Pro
Maker Pro

improvised ignition system

bcredneck

Dec 4, 2013
hi ive been working on small motors for a long time 75% of motors die from electrical problems
this isnt hard for me to fix if i have anther motor with the same #cylinders and about the same size flywheel but i run out of spare parts and they are expensive
i would like to build a cdi and hall switch that can run off 12 volt power by a lighting stator and rectifier and power a standard 12 volt automotive coil the hall switch would have to be wound around a slightly different part each time i build it so it can be bolted into the motor
all i know about this system now is i have to charge a capacitor and release the power to the coil when a rare earth magnet passes the hall switch
i just need help to make that happen i would like to build this over and over again

bcredneck

Dec 4, 2013
thx that is a really useful device that i will build but its not what i need now that thing replaces the ignition stator with your existing charging stator on a points motor basically
motors made before 1978 (lots of exceptions) but its nearly impossible on most newer bikes to mount points although i have pulled it off
what i really need is a 4 or 5 wire cdi and how to wind the sensor (commonly called a pulser coil)
attachment.php

dh390

Jul 30, 2013
There are also the points conversion setups like the Crane XR-i for use with stock coils. I am using one in my classic car. I also called Crane and asked abt operating voltage for use in 6v farm tractors. It has a wide voltage operating range. Though it is sold for 12v aplications. I don't know how low the cylinder count can go but I see no reason why it can't work on 1 cylinder apps.

The Crane XR-i cost has a built in adj rev limiter & cost a lot less then others. See link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crane-Cams-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4645a673&vxp=mtr

Another possibility is my friend had an MSD or Mallery ignition setup that used a hall effect sensor/triger module in the distributor to triger the ignition box. I remember he had to replace that sensor a few times & they wern't cheep. You could use the sensor & that Velleman ignition setup. Though I know MSD & Mallery had a protection modual to prevent the hall effect triger from damageing spikes or surges.

As a note Summit Racing will match prices. When on the phone with the give them all the info where you saw the item for a lower price. I have dealt with Summit & they always took care of any problems I had. Great company.

Last edited: