Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Impulse Polarity Switch

eakins05

Jan 25, 2013
Hi I'm new the the forum and generally new to electronic circuitry, so please bear with me :). Here's what I would like to be able to do: I have a 3 position momentary switch. When I push it up, it will deliver a timed pulse (~100ms, regardless of how long I leave it in the up position) to one circuit. When I let it return to the off position, it will deliver the same timed pulse, only with reversed polarity. When pushed down, it will do the same thing to a different circuit. Is something like this possible?

If not (or if it's just more complicated than it's worth), then how about this: I have a normal (not 3 position) momentary switch. When it's depressed, it will power the circuit, and when released it won't (like normal). However, the next time it's depressed it will power the circuit with reversed polarity. And next time it will be back to normal, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Sure, that's possible. What is the nature of the pulses? What voltage, what current? Is any particular shape required?

What happens if you release the switch before the 100 ms pulse has finished? Does that pulse stop immediately and the one of the opposite polarity begin?

Are the up and down functions totally independent of each other?

What is the supply voltage? What type of circuitry do you want to use? I would probably go for CMOS logic unless you have microcontroller programming experience.