Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Induction brazing?

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
Just saw this on YouTube:

and was wondering if there are any cheaper solutions for induction brazing. Seems like it would be pretty useful not just for copper pipe, but also for brazing wire used in high heat environments, like an oven. Looks like there are a few variants out there for this type of tool, but it's mostly a niche (read: expensive) item. Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to make something like that so I wonder if any Chinese knockoffs are sold anywhere. Anyone ever run into a tool like that?

Or maybe resistance heating with something like this:

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to convert a stick welder to send the current through two jaws of a "vice grip" electrically insulated from one another, kind of like a spot welder, and then just applying the brazing rod to the red-hot copper. I doubt a stick welder can ever provide enough power to spot weld steel, but maybe it can get enough power to braze (considerably lower temperature) copper.

Anyway, after doing some research, I was wondering if this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HEAVY-DU...on-Rod-FREE-SHIPPING-ONE-Carbone/311938574215

in a basic welder would work. I would just touch the copper with the end of the rod and hopefully heat it up enough to melt a brazing rod on the copper.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You need to heat the joint AND the brazing rod to make them flow together. Just heating the joint and 'prodding it' with a brazing rod won't work. Think soldering.... it's the same process and a soldered joint won't work without heating both parts.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
There are several designs out there for building a H.F. heating machine, Google Royer oscillator.
A SMAW (stick welder) may be an option, normally in an industrial setting for silver soldering etc, the two parts are placed together and a ring of S.S. together with flux is place at the heating point and power is applied.
Typically via a H.F. unit.
M.

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
There are several designs out there for building a H.F. heating machine, Google Royer oscillator.
A SMAW (stick welder) may be an option, normally in an industrial setting for silver soldering etc, the two parts are placed together and a ring of S.S. together with flux is place at the heating point and power is applied.
Typically via a H.F. unit.
M.
I've seen those before, but you have to be able to slide it off of the completed work. Sometimes you're working with a pipe that has a wide end at the end. So you'll braze it and then the coil will be permanently stuck there.

I wonder if it's possible to build something like this: https://www.garrettwade.com/copper-pipe-soldering-tool-gp.html?SCID=W4011000

Except hot enough to braze. I wonder what would happen if 230V is pumped into it. I doubt the guts are very sophisticated.

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
If I could get a coil in this shape:
I could figure out the rest as far as the power supply is concerned.