Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Infrared and gps and connectivity

kksandyrox

Aug 30, 2012
**Few Points:**
1) I need to fit an IR emitter on a piece of cardboard.
2) and an IR detector on a separate board. Connected to this board is a GPS device, both boards separated by a distance of 100-120 cms.
3)The IR detector, after detecting the IR light must send signals to the GPS device(connected on the same board as the IR detector, separated by a distance of MAX 1.5cm)
4) Then the GPS device has to send the status of the IR detector's signal to a tablet/mobile via a network(NOT WIFI---NOT BLUETOOTH).

PROBLEM.
1) How to transfer the signals from the IR detector to the GPS device?
2)How can the GPS device transmit IR detectors status via a network to a tablet/phone.
3)NO WIRES must be included between the IR detector and the GPS device.

Since i am not an electronics guy, i havo no musch knowledge about the circuit boards and connections. Detailed Answer will be appreciated :)

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
just a note GPS is a reciever. it recieves data from sattelites and calculates rough distance from each giving a set long lat alt. you will not be able to transmit over gps.

If I were going the very simple approach I would look into arduino, picduino etc and find the boards that I need. personally I would use and IR reciever and an arduino board then a phone with gps in it.
using items like http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/ioio-for-android you will be able to spend less time worrying about hooking it up and more time finding a progammer to help you write the programs you need to get it working

kksandyrox

Aug 30, 2012
If GPS is just a receive, then how it is used in fleet management?Im really confused now

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If GPS is just a receive, then how it is used in fleet management?Im really confused now

it is just receive, any other data is sent via other radio service .... cellphone, other radio network etc

dave

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Do you mean a GSM module?
In that case you will need a SIM card and a contract with a provider to transport the data via GSM.
What distance do you have to bridge? For a few centimeters to a few meters a simple RF module like one of these can do the job. You can receive the data using a radiomodule with USB connection to your tablet.
Google can locate a source near you. Take care to buy matching transmitter and receiver.

kksandyrox

Aug 30, 2012
The query that I posted first was just to make prototype/model of my project so that i could submit its synopsis this coming week.

Okay. So My actual project goes this way.

I want to make an android app for a tablet, that can show and be used by cops to detect people that do not ride their 2-wheelers with helmet.

here i planned to install a IR emitter on the helmet of a person riding the bike.
and an IR detector/receiver along with a gps device to detect the IR light(from the helmet) and to track the bike respectively ON THE BIKE.

IR detector/receiver and the gps device will be installed somewhere around the area of the odometer.
Gps device is just used to track the bike in realtime.

The power to the IR detector/receiver ON THE BIKE will be backed up by the bike's battery, and the IR detector/receiver ON THE BIKE will start scanning for the IR Emitter's light as soon as the bike starts(this can be one by connecting the bikes ignition to the power of the IR detector). this means once the bike is started(on) the detector will start scanning for the IR light coming from the helmet. and it will scan after every 100 seconds.

[[[[[[[[ If IR light is found then --> it means that the person is wearing a helmet and the vehicle will be shown as a green dot in the application.
if Not---> then the person is riding without a helmet and is shown on the app using a red dot.]]]]]]]]]

Problem is.. how to transfer these data via a network to a distant tablet/phone? can the IR device in any way transmit these data to the gps device?

Since I am not an electronics guy,i would not prefer doin stuffs like soldering and all .

The whole assembly must not be more than 8-9 cms in size.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
This has to be the most ill-conceived project I have seen yet.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The query that I posted first was just to make prototype/model of my project so that i could submit its synopsis this coming week.

Okay. So My actual project goes this way.

I want to make an android app for a tablet, that can show and be used by cops to detect people that do not ride their 2-wheelers with helmet.

here i planned to install a IR emitter on the helmet of a person riding the bike.
and an IR detector/receiver along with a gps device to detect the IR light(from the helmet) and to track the bike respectively ON THE BIKE.

IR detector/receiver and the gps device will be installed somewhere around the area of the odometer.
Gps device is just used to track the bike in realtime.

OK we understand what you would like to do. you have to understand the complexities of what you would like to do

The power to the IR detector/receiver ON THE BIKE will be backed up by the bike's battery, and the IR detector/receiver ON THE BIKE will start scanning for the IR Emitter's light as soon as the bike starts(this can be one by connecting the bikes ignition to the power of the IR detector). this means once the bike is started(on) the detector will start scanning for the IR light coming from the helmet. and it will scan after every 100 seconds.

[[[[[[[[ If IR light is found then --> it means that the person is wearing a helmet and the vehicle will be shown as a green dot in the application.
if Not---> then the person is riding without a helmet and is shown on the app using a red dot.]]]]]]]]]

OK so its much more than the 1.5cm you stated in your first post , more like a metre between the IR TX and RX. IR probably isnt going to work in an outdoor system, IR receiver is going to be totally flooded by all the IR sources around the area not to mention that HUGE bright object in the sky, commonly known as the sun.
You are going to have to usee radio modules for this 315, 433, or maybe the 2400 MHZ units

Problem is.. how to transfer these data via a network to a distant tablet/phone? can the IR device in any way transmit these data to the gps device?
Since I am not an electronics guy,i would not prefer doin stuffs like soldering and all .
The whole assembly must not be more than 8-9 cms in size.

as you have already been told previously by donkey amd myself, GSP units are RECEIVE ONLY you cannot send data to them to be transmitted elsewhere. For that you need yet another radio transmitter system and its needs to transmit over distances of more than ~50 metres, then your power requirements and size of unit restrictions have just sky-rocketed.

Sorry to be really blunt, but the harsh reality is..... Since you state you are not an electronics guy, this project is so far above your level you wouldnt have a chance of doing someting like this.
Dont worry you are not alone ... we so often see on the forums, people with awesome ideas, but their total or near total lack of electronics knowledge means they themselves would never get the project working. They think ... yup just hook up a few modules with some wires and shine an IR beam or 2 and it will work .... its just not that easy.

cheers
Dave

Last edited: