Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Insignia "Please Wait" then nothing

Sp0iler

Dec 20, 2014
Hi,
I have an Insignia 42" LCD (NS-l42Q-10A) that has had some issues. I might as well start from the beginning as I'm sure some others will find this helpful somewhere.
This TV has been in our guest room for about 3 years since it was brand new. It has less than 5 hours of viewing time on it.
We decided to relocate the TV to another room and I purchased and mounted a wall hanger for it.I removed the TV from the Bedroom and hung it in the new location.
I hooked it up and tried to turn it on but got nothing. (First lesson- Verify it works before relocating). I saw the red standby LED was lit but had no response from the remote or the TV mounted buttons.
I hit the web and started searching for ideas and answer's although few straight forward fixes were to be found.I saw many posts with the same or similar problems but poor answer's at best.
After some thought I surmised that even though the TV had not been used hardly at all, it had still been plugged in for years and part of the power supply had probably died. I purchased a used power supply and installed it. (Second lesson-Don't be lazy. Do the voltage tests) I had no change in results with the new power supply and I was now down the first $40.00.
Next to try was the obvious one.... the Main board. I purchased a used board ($80.00) and installed it.The TV worked again and I was happy. (If you have the LED light but no response... Possibly try a main board).
The TV worked for about an hour and with a load "Pop" the screen went black and the TV shut down. I was still on the "New" power supply and thought right away "We just lost a fuse or Cap". I quickly changed out the power supply with the original supply that was in the TV when we bought it.
I tried to get the TV to start but got no response from the TV. Just like it was from the beginning of the problems. Red LED but no response from the remote or buttons on the TV.
I again surmised the Main board must have gone again
I purchased another main board for the TV and installed it.Another $80.00.
Now when I turn on the TV I see the "Please Wait" message for the usual 3-4 seconds just as it should and then the screen goes black and I get nothing else displayed.
So last night I walked by the TV in the dark and just for grins I hit the power button on the TV. The "Please Wait" message came up nice and bright like I would expect and then the screen went black.
Here is the thing and what I know is a clue... in the pitch black I can hit the "Menu" button and see the menu come up and be very faintly displayed for about twenty seconds as it fades away.
I tried the flashlight against the screen trick awhile ago but saw nothing when I did that.I can clearly see the menu being displayed very faintly as I described.
So before spending any more money or time on this TV I thought I would open up a thread and see what you Guru's
Might think or suggest could be the problem.
Is it a Back light issue ? That "Please Wait" message being displayed makes me think the display circuits are working okay.
Is it a power supply issue and part of the board is not being fed ?
The last and current Main board is not the same revision as the original but should work fine I'm told. Perhaps a software issue but I doubt it.

Thanks for any help,thoughts or ideas you might have for me and I hope some others can find some answer's of their own in this thread.
Sp0iler

Sp0iler

Dec 20, 2014
Well, It was worth a shot anyway.
I'm surprised no one had any thoughts to my issue.
Good luck to all.
:)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there

sorry I didn't see your post earlier
its been the holiday season and been busy with holidays away from home and family celebrations etc as probably many others are also

I cant help you directly with the info you have supplied
Have you tried to get a service manual ?

cheers
Dave

Sp0iler

Dec 20, 2014
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have recently found the repair manual for this TV. Great for specs but little in the way of troubleshooting. It also doesn't include the "Error Code" legend to tell what that blinking led is telling me. It frustrates me that I can't seem to locate that legend anywhere. I've posted at the Insignia site (which is no less than a joke) with no help to be found there at all.
I'm really surprised. Searching the web revels many with my same issues and problems but none have taken the time to come back and post their fix.
With my limited knowledge of electronics (but some) I'm really left with only the option of changing out boards versus repairing them. I know that can lead to more expenses than needed and more hair pulling than normal.
I think the power supply is working okay as everything powers up and I do get a display, brief though it may be.
Because I do get a display, I feel like the display components are working too.
My only thought at this point is that the used main board I have may not be completely compatible with my TV and it stalls or fails to completely load after displaying the "Please Wait" message.
I have no doubt that someone here knows something about my issue. I think it's a matter of that person seeing my post.

Thanks again for the reply and any other thoughts you might have for me.