Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Intel Galileo 1 unidentified component half-broken

Smarco

Nov 7, 2014
Hi everyone,

You're my last hope to find out what's happening to my board.

I explain:
Recently I've bought an Intel Galileo 1 to do a flight controller for a quadcopter. Every think worked well until I performed a test with low security for my board. I was testing an ESC with a motor and its propeller then the motor went really fast (10,000 rpm) and my board has been ejected from the table due to the propeller's blast.

Next to this mistake, I stopped everything and discovered that my board had damage. One component is broken. I looked on the web to find out the component and understand what's it. Unfortunately I didn't find anything. I succeed to restart my board but I need to press on the half-broken component with my finger to start it properly.
Another thing, which is weird, is if I press the on-the-board restart button after a proper start, the board restarts properly without any press on the half-broken component.

I've attached a picture of the half-broken component. Whether someone knows what this component could be, I maybe could find a solution to avoid pressing on it to start the board properly.

Thank you so much in advance.
Bye

Attachments

• _DSC3073.JPG
    _DSC3073.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 155

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Looks like it could be an oscillator component such as a crystal or ceramic resonator. The board has a 32.768 kHz resonator (Y2A1) for serial I/O and a 25 MHz crystal (Y3L1) for the processor. Can you zoom in on the component and perhaps provide a part designation? It looks like the part is marked A348C but searches using that number didn't produce any electronic components.

Smarco

Nov 7, 2014
Looks like it could be an oscillator component such as a crystal or ceramic resonator. The board has a 32.768 kHz resonator (Y2A1) for serial I/O and a 25 MHz crystal (Y3L1) for the processor. Can you zoom in on the component and perhaps provide a part designation? It looks like the part is marked A348C but searches using that number didn't produce any electronic components.

Thank you for replying as fast.

I also supposed that could be an oscillator because it doesn't look like anything that I know and I know where is the other oscillator (on the other board side).

I confirm that it's written A348C on it and it's all. From last time I took the picture, the component lost its caps and now we can see inside and the component has the same behavior, I mean I still need to press on it to start the board.
When the board is started, I don't have any trouble with it, I can run my applications and everything is fine.

Attachments

• _DSC3078.jpg
    _DSC3078.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 108

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... <snip> I still need to press on it to start the board.
When the board is started, I don't have any trouble with it, I can run my applications and everything is fine.

I would try to find out who makes this part. It looks like a hybrid of some sort, so it may be a special part that Intel outsourced. The Intel schematics are not much help as far as identifying commercial part numbers. From the size of it, it could be the ceramic resonator used for serial I/O, but "spooky" operation (press here to start) is not good, even if you don't need serial I/O. OTOH I could be wrong about its function. I suggest you write to Intel or join their maker community online for more specific information. There is a lot of documentation here but I didn't find anything to identify your part.

Can you afford to purchase another Galileo Gen 1 board? Save this one for spare parts in case your 'copter decides to dive bomb the new board.

Smarco

Nov 7, 2014
I'll certainly buy a new card but I'm still wondering what this component could be. I use the serial communication over USB, whether this component is the oscilator for I/O serial, I think USB doesn't use this component because I don't have any trouble when the board is started.

Thank you for your help, you seems to have a great knowledge about electronic component.
I'll turn to intel community seeking what this component is.

If I have any information about it, I'll keep you up in this topic.
Bye

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Here are links to the two crystals used:

ECS ECS-250-18-23A-EN-TR

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/122/ecx-64a_ecx-64cr-6514.pdf

Epson FC-255 32.7680K-A0

http://www.eea.epson.com/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/1697497.PDF

The sizes are different, so you should be able to tell which it is by measuring it. It looks more like 4.8x1.8mm, which is the Epson than 6x3.5 which is the ECS one.

I got these from the BOM posted on the Intel site here:

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-21823

Both are available at mouser.com

Bob

Last edited:

Smarco

Nov 7, 2014
Ok, that definitely the second: Epson FC-255 32.7680K-A0. It look really like the component that I have.

I'll check that.
Thank you for your assistance.