Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Interfacing with a PIC Microcontroller

PhantomPhelix

Oct 8, 2015
Hi all, I'm fairly new to this forum so bear with me if I'm forgetting any rules or information.

I am working on a project that requires me to interface a PIC microcontroller with a TFT display and 4 vacuum sensors. From what I can gather from the PIC website, they recommend using a 32-bit chip for my situation as it's recommended for TFT displays and not to mention the ADCs I'll have to implement to convert the signals.

Now I'm not very experienced with PIC microcontrollers so I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what specific chip to use. If you had any specific part numbers I could research that would be of great help too. Also from what I understand, the manufacturer sends you a programmer with the chip as well. Am I correct in assuming this?

Furthermore, I have also been told that when programming PIC microcontrollers, you are using free software that utilizes a type of c-language? Not entirely sure if it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. Sorry again for sounding like a plebeian, still very new to these types of microcontrollers.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
1. I use all of the PICs except the 32-bit ones, so I can't help you with choosing a chip. In general though, choose one that has enough I/O pins and internal devices (like ADCs) that you need.

2. The manufacturer does not send you a programmer with the chip. You buy it separate from the chips.

3. The free software is definitely different from one manufacturer to another. Microchip provides both assembler and C for free, but the C compiler is non-optimizing, you have to pay for the optimizing version.

Bob

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi all, I'm fairly new to this forum so bear with me if I'm forgetting any rules or information.

I am working on a project that requires me to interface a PIC microcontroller with a TFT display and 4 vacuum sensors. From what I can gather from the PIC website, they recommend using a 32-bit chip for my situation as it's recommended for TFT displays and not to mention the ADCs I'll have to implement to convert the signals.

Now I'm not very experienced with PIC microcontrollers so I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what specific chip to use. If you had any specific part numbers I could research that would be of great help too. Also from what I understand, the manufacturer sends you a programmer with the chip as well. Am I correct in assuming this?

Furthermore, I have also been told that when programming PIC microcontrollers, you are using free software that utilizes a type of c-language? Not entirely sure if it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. Sorry again for sounding like a plebeian, still very new to these types of microcontrollers.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

I am using one of these at the moment, haven't had any issues with the PIC. Not sure if it has enough pins for you.
http://dangerousprototypes.com/wp-content/media/2012/06/Circuit1.png
Adam

PhantomPhelix

Oct 8, 2015
Ah, I see. Ok, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when selecting a chip. Thanks Bob.

Hi Adam, that looks pretty sweet. Although I'm not sure it's going to work. I forgot to include earlier that the person that I am building this project for specified that I use the chip and build my own microcontroller. His reasons were 1. Cheaper overall cost, and 2. Manufacturing possibilities.

To provide a little more clarity. This is my capstone project and the person I am building for is the project sponsor.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
The pic I posted was for you to look at the pic micro in the centre of the PCB. I didn't mean to use the dev board :)
Adam

PhantomPhelix

Oct 8, 2015
Ohhh, my mistake, haha. Yea, the chip itself looks like it'll have what I need. I guess this is a solid starting point. Thanks again for your help.