Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Inverter in vintage mashine(exchanging original part with equivalent)

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Hi
Again I am coming back with similar question like few weeks ago regarding different part(" I came across that people are taking advantage of people like me who isn't an engineer and are selling little components for a lot of money just because those parts were used in the famous equipment(like this one)").

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30642229@N06/13797322225

Its an inverter for famous AKAI 3000 Sampler(http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/mpc3000.php) and I had my sampler in the shop for repair and they wanted around 120£ to replace with the another similar one.Is it possible to buy some cheaper one that can easily be exchanged with the original one and still work without any problem?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akai-MPC-...bfb7af1&pid=100623&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=322586718279

This part cost on eBay 48£.

All the best.

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Just to add I have issue with the backlight its not working.In the shop I was told that the whole LCD Screen and And backlight its one unit and need to be replaced but I told them that the backlight (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKAI-MPC-3000-LCD-replacement-backlight-/292279913757)can be replaced by itself with no need to change the whole LCD screen.So after few hour they came back to me and said that Inverter and backlight need to be replaced 120£.And now I was just looking at the cable that is connecting backlight with inverter PCBoard and the cable looks squashed(please find the pictures attached) to me cable look squashed maybe they should check the cable first.What do you think looking at the cable is it possible that the cable could be the problem? Cable 1.JPG Cable 2.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
What are the input/output voltages, currents and/or frequency of the inverter?

Generally you can get 'inverters' for most applications so a replacement 'should' be available although the pin outs may well differ (show the bottom of the board).

Please also show us more about the LCD - what type of backlight does it use etc.

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Hi Kellys Eye many thanks for your reply maybe this video will be helpful:
I will try to get the inverter PCB out to do the picture but unfortunatly I won't be able to do this now as I have to go now i will do it later.
But maybe its just the cable that is causing the problem(not sure if they checked the cable)??
All the best.

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017

Generally you can get 'inverters' for most applications so a replacement 'should' be available although the pin outs may well differ (show the bottom of the board).

Please also show us more about the LCD - what type of backlight does it use etc.
Sorry Kellys but I was actually posting this so someone with better knowledge willw knows those specification.Where I can find those details about input/output voltages and currents and frequencies I dont know know.
All the best
I am still not at home to do a picture I am writing from my iPhone

I have only units power requierments:
  • Power requirements: 120VAC (60Hz)/40W; 220VAC (50Hz)/30W; 240VAC (50Hz)/30W

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
hmmmm. electroluminescent backlighting eh... 'obsolete' technology, replaced by LED backlighting these days.

Judging by the video it seems eminently possible to fit a couple of rectangular LEDs at each end of the display panel and 'edge light' it rather than 'back light' it.

Couple of LEDs (colour of your choice too!), resistor and connect to any available DC supply. Back lit display with much higher reliability and ease of replacement in the unlikely event they fail.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Judging by the video it seems eminently possible to fit a couple of rectangular LEDs at each end of the display panel and 'edge light' it rather than 'back light' it.
Worth trying, using any bright light source at one edge. Is the display then clearly readable?

If that 'cable' is actually a protective sleeve loosely fitted around a bundle of individually insulated wires then it's unlikely the wires are damaged.

Last edited:

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Couple of LEDs (colour of your choice too!), resistor and connect to any available DC supply. Back lit display with much higher reliability and ease of replacement in the unlikely event they fail.

Sounds really good custom colur.I saw guy doing it.He is called Jazzcat on Facebook.
Thanks a million Kellys

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017

I am back home here is the picture of the back of the PCB and few more.PCB back.JPG

PCB front 1.JPG PCB fron 2.JPG PCB front 3.JPG

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
hmmmm. electroluminescent backlighting eh... 'obsolete' technology, replaced by LED backlighting these days.

Can I ask you to post me a link with LED backlight example please that would do the job.
All the best and thanks.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The (eBay) rectangular LEDs look perfectly suitable and could be hot-melt glued onto the edge of the pcb. One at either end (or two - depends on how bright you think the display backlight should be) and a simple series resistor..... job done.