Maker Pro
Maker Pro

IR sensor OR something else?

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
Hello, I'm new to all this and have a project. I have a Raspberry Pi Pico running Micro python and a few snap switches. I wanted to add to my project some kind of "Mini" sensor that would sit on top a servo and rotate over a brass ammo casing to see if there is powder in it and rotate back. I guess my question is what kind of sensor would work, or am I starting with the correct one? I got the idea from a video I found on YouTube and apparently its worked for him, I just need to know the components I would need to get it to work.

YouTube Video of what im looking to duplicate
I bought this IR sensor

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You would need to focus or rather restrict the field of view of the ir sensor.
I am guessing if there is no powder, there will be a shiny surface inside the bullet casing to reflect the light back.
Coversely, if there is powder, the back of the powder would null this return but only if the ir was not reflected back by the sides of the casing.
Usual method is to use a piece of tubing but the ir unit would need to fit the conditions.

Another module which might work better is what is known as a "time of flight" sensor.
Basically a miniature radar emitter receiver but the range would need to be set carefully in your program.
I have no idea how much difference there is between loaded with powder or not.

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
I was looking at the time of flight sensor but the one from seeed seems a little large. I just ordered one from Amazon to give a try.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Could you simply weigh the ammo? That would give you also an indication of the amount of power, not only a powder present/not present indication.

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
If i were to weigh each bullet it would take me forever because I would have to wait each one off the press. I'm just looking for a simple solution to notify me if it dumped powder in the casing. I do have a micro camera pointing down into the casing that shows up on an app on my phone and 4k but I just wanted to try something automated instead of visual.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I was looking at the time of flight sensor but the one from seeed seems a little large. I just ordered one from Amazon to give a try.
The time of flight are much more compact as far as the emitter/receiver are concerned compared to the ir unit you showed.
Also it may be possible to actually measure the amount of charge within certain limits.

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
This thread sounds very familiar. Let me repeat the advice I gave a while back. Why don't you just look at the casing before you seat the bullet like I used to? Using a homebrew setup with cameras, sensors and a servo motor requires electricity. Electricity can cause a spark. With smokeless powder, one spark and you can lose your face.

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
@PETERDECO whats the fun in that.... If you think about it there's a risk and everything you do......

Last edited: