Maker Pro
Maker Pro

IR trans-rec

DavidV

Dec 5, 2017
I am working with some of my students on a Science Olympiad project. Electronics beyord resistors and capacitors is not my strong point. I am looking for a simple IR transmitter- receiver combo. We can use a standard TV remote but that would take up a lot of space. I looked through a box of parts left behind by the previous physics teacher and I have some of these https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Receiver-Transmitter-Arduino-Compatible/dp/B01E20VQD8.

Can someone provide a simple circuit diagram that a novice might be able to follow that will allow this to act as a simple switch. I also have some relays https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VRUAHLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 lying around.

I don't have any transistors but can order some if I know what to get.

If these parts aren't usefull let me know what to buy and if I can get all the parts for under $20 I can order them.

All I need is to use an IR beam to be dectected 20cm away which then turns something on. Only constraint is max 9V and we have limited overall size for the entire device.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Those particular units are modulated signal and will require a microcontroller such as an Arduino with appropriate code to work.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You have not told us what you want to do with an IR transmitter and receiver. You might be talking about sending data a mile away, or you might be talking about detecting when a sheet of paper is in place in a printer. Both of these are done with IR. So what is it you expect to do, in detail.

Bob

DavidV

Dec 5, 2017
"You have not told us what you want to do with an IR transmitter and receiver."

Sorry, I may not have been clear. In my original post I wrote all it needed to do was "to act as a simple switch" and "All I need is to use an IR beam to be dectected 20cm away which then turns something on."

We need to turn on the transmitter and have it trigger the receiver which closes a circuit and stays on and allows a voltage or current. It will not to stay on. I can connect it to a transformer.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Okay then, a simple IR LED and phototransistor will work then, driving either a relay or a more powerful transistor.

However, ambient light is still a consideration. You may need to put the detector insude a tube looking directly toward the LED, shielding it from extraneous light.

Bob

DavidV

Dec 5, 2017
Okay then, a simple IR LED and phototransistor will work then, driving either a relay or a more powerful transistor.

However, ambient light is still a consideration. You may need to put the detector insude a tube looking directly toward the LED, shielding it from extraneous light.

Bob
Would these do the trick?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EFOQEUM/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Connected to something like this?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Tolako-5v-Re...-1-Channel/1963275315?iid=253993010146&chn=ps

Would a simple circuit be enough? I would a switch to the transitter circuit to turn it on. Also add a relay to the receiver circuit.
Infrared-detector-circuit.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-26_13-26-19.png
    upload_2018-12-26_13-26-19.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 3

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
No, those are 38KHz receivers that require a lot of active electronics to use, typically a microcontroller.

Stop looking for IR transmitters and receivers and look for what I suggested:

IR LED and
Phototransistor

Bob

DavidV

Dec 5, 2017
No, those are 38KHz receivers that require a lot of active electronics to use, typically a microcontroller.

Stop looking for IR transmitters and receivers and look for what I suggested:

IR LED and
Phototransistor

Bob
Could you be specific? Everytime I look up what you suggest I get items similar to what I linked.

Are you suggesting something like a BPX38 or BPW76A/B?

And SFH 4855?