Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Irregular waterproof cable glands

Ethan Engle

Oct 13, 2014
I'm installing a waterproof led light strip in the bottom of a yeti cooler. My design is nearly complete with a waterproof NEMA 6P / IP69 enclosure to house the battery and electronics for the light strip. I'd like the enclosure to sit unassumingly at the bottom of the cooler, immersed in water and ice. I plan to use IP69-rated cable glands to run the wires for a reed switch near the lid of the cooler so the lights turn on automatically when opening the lid.

I'm stuck on what to use to seal the hole out of the enclosure for the led strip. The strip of lights is waterproof and its cross-section is in the shape of an elongated half-moon. The light strip maintains that shape all the way to the connector which is not waterproof, so I'd like to house the connector inside the enclosure. I don't believe your run-of-the-mill cable glands will provide a reliable seal for an irregularly-shaped cord running out of the enclosure. Any suggestions for an alternative?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Just a thought, as your enclosure is immersed in ice water you may get condensation forming inside your enclosure.

Ethan Engle

Oct 13, 2014
Good point. I'll see if I can find a desiccanting agent to keep in the enclosure.