Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is 24V AC dangerous?

vicara12

Jul 11, 2018
Hi, first post here!

I have just bought a power supply (a DIY kit) and I realized that the wires from the input voltage (24V ac) are exposed, so I am afraid of touching them and get hurt. Is 24V ac dangerous? I have seen in a lot of forums that it depends on the person, so I have to say that I am young and without any kind of heart desease.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Welcome to EP :)

Hi, first post here!

I have just bought a power supply (a DIY kit) and I realized that the wires from the input voltage (24V ac) are exposed, so I am afraid of touching them and get hurt. Is 24V ac dangerous? I have seen in a lot of forums that it depends on the person, so I have to say that I am young and without any kind of heart desease.

as a rule, no, it requires around 50+ volts to break down skin resistance to allow significant current to flow

BUT if your hands are wet ( and they shouldn't be whilst playing with electronics) then you have lost a lot of that protective skin resistance

There are also other factors, eg, if the current flows from one hand to other via the chest/heart
compared to just going into one hand

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Generally anything under 30v is considered safe (at least for the heart). It is said that as little as 0.1 amps of current can electrocute someone but at voltages under 30v the skin resistance is high enough to prevent currents from reaching dangerous levels.

If you have a power limited 24vac your pretty safe , but if you have 24v with high amperage potential its dangerous because it can cause a fire.

Edit, Dave beat me to the punch.

vicara12

Jul 11, 2018
Welcome to EP :)

as a rule, no, it requires around 50+ volts to break down skin resistance to allow significant current to flow

BUT if your hands are wet ( and they shouldn't be whilst playing with electronics) then you have lost a lot of that protective skin resistance
Thanks for your reply! I think it would be better to be careful and make a wooden case for it :D

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Power supply input is 24v ac.... That seems strange .... no mains supply anywhere?