Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is Armoured and Un armoured cable same ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Obviously there is a language barrier..
No they're not the same.
In an industrial setting shielded cables protects data from (EMI) degradation that is transferred through the cable from nearby equipment like motors & generators that are likely to generate electromagnetic interference.
In general the electrical shield can be made from strands of braided copper (or a similar metal alloy), a spiral copper tape, or some other conducting polymer.
1697618465007.jpg1697618445291.jpg1697618358837.jpg1697618343958.jpg
Do you have a specific application you wish to protect against EMI ?

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
No they're not the same.
They're not shielded cable as you show either.
Armoured cable (commonly know as steel wire amoured) is usually an outer layer of steel wire woven around the cable and then covered in another insulation layer.
It's not for rfi but simply for mechanical protection against external damage.

Attachments

• Steel wire armoured.jpg
    Steel wire armoured.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Obviously there is a language barrier..
No they're not the same.
An 'understanding' barrier too.

Armoured cable consists of (multiple) cores carrying the signal or power surrounded by a protective covering of high tensile steel wires that give a physical protective barrier to penetration. When correctly installed, the armour wire is bonded to the cable gland used which itself is bonded to (protective) earth connection such that any failure of the physical barrier (cutting the cable) will cause an immediate short to earth and the operation of the protective breaker - which is also a requirement for a proper installation of armoured cable.

Other than the physical aspect of the armour, the cable is usually the same spec for voltage/current handling capacity as the equivalent unarmoured version.

Typically armoured cable is used to run mains supplies from building to building (or out building).

What @Delta Prime described is SHIELDED cable which is not the same thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-18 10-15-13.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-18 10-15-13.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 1

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You will find armoured cable in buried external trench conditions, distribution between housed/covered installations.
Can consist of high power, telegraph etc, etc

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
He could be Portuguese
cabo blindado =shielded cable
cabo blindado= armored cable

I did it intentionally It was a 50/50 shot I had to pick one.
You really think I don't know what armored cable is if I would have gave him a detailed explanation on both you would have nothing to talk about it's called spreading the love you should try it! Booyah!
Two steps ahead people!
And perhaps 10 steps back for all you haters

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Wouldn't surprise me in the least....and your answer confirmed it.
The end result is to help, but considering his other questions for an industrial cable gland which is not a question but a statement. I may have misconstrued,misunderstood
the truncated question.
It was a stretch I did try to cover my butt by comparing shield and armor,embarrassing given the caliber of knowledge here on this site and others as well.
I'll be the first one to admit it.That I'm wrong. I'm still learning how to convey information properly,formally! I jump the gun allot trying to be the first one to answer the question.Thank goodness I'm shameless. But I'm working on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.