Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is converting voltage to freq like creating a tone?

sciguy77

Oct 21, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to record analog values with a digital recorder. Basically I have a recorder and have 2 leads connected via the mic port. If I just apply regular voltage to the leads the recorder doesn't recognize the external mic and records with the internal mic. It seems as though the recorder will only read values through the external mic if there is a tone going through it. I know the Arduino can generate tones, but if possible I'd like to do this with a simple voltage to frequency converter IC like the Texas Instruments LM231 (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm231.pdf). My question is: if I convert voltage to frequency, is that the *same* thing as generating a tone (will it be readable)?

Thanks!

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A tone is a frequency which uses a transducer to vibrate the air.
A microphone turns these vibrations into electrical signals at very low levels.
A V-F converter will produce electrical pulses at a frequency proportional to voltage input.

Your recorder should be able to record these signals, suitably attenuated to a reasonable value. Some recorders use a switch in the microphone to turn it on, this must be connected. Some recorders have a line input which is at a more suitable level and will not have a switch.