Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is there a modern version of HT-12E and HT-12D?

TooFatGeorge

Sep 8, 2018
I'm working on making a RF circuit that will replace a light switch (project log). Basically, I just need to send button presses over RF. There are some blogs that meet my requirements, such as this and this. They use an IC to encode the button presses, and another module to transmit that signal. It would work perfectly for what I'm trying to do!

The catch is, the encoder/decoder chips seem to be old and hard to find. They are not available on DigiKey, Mouser, SparkFun, Adafruit, or Tayday. I could only find them on Jameco. However, Jameco does not sell RF transmitter/receiver modules!

So, I googled "alternatives to HT-12E", and found some advice to use a PT2272/PT22262 pair. But I'm having a hard time finding those too! Is there some other IC I should take a look at?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You will probably find that the RF modules are cheaper on ebay than on an electronics supplier's website, whether cheapest from a Chinese seller where you wait a month for it to arrive, or an importer that has stock in the US for faster delivery for a few dollars more.

That's what I'd do then get the HT12D/E from Jameco, or I also saw them on Newark.