Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is There a problem, or is it just the case that the motor needed a load.

Andy 1066

Jan 31, 2018
I have a project I am working on which has a 300Watt AC/DC converter AC220V 230V to 24DC 12.5A - 15A power switching Transformer
Which is connected to a EM - 285 DC motor speed regulator. 12/24v 20A, and then to a High torque electric motor DC 24volt 3000rpm 200 watts.
The electric motor has a pulley that with a drive belt can be attached onto a pulley that is on a drive shaft, which has a flywheel mounted on it.

First I did a test run of the set up with out the motor being attached to the dive shaft with the belt.
I turned on the speed controller very slowly and the shaft on the motor started turning slowly, but when I turned the speed up, the motor speed, started pulsing, right up to full speed.
I turned it down to zero, and the motor stop spinning, I then again turned the speed controller to set the motor spinning at a slow speed, and again it turn over with no pulsing, but as soon as I turned the speed up, the motor started pulsing.

I then attached the dive belt from the motor to the drive shaft, turned on the speed controller so that the motor started to rotate very slowly, I slowly increased the speed, and there was know pulsing just a sooth acceleration, as I went from very slowly speed to high speed, and back down till zero, when it stopped rotating.

Can any one explain why the motor starting pulsing when I increase the speed from very slow, when the belt was not attached?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I would take a guess with the controller requiring more of a load.
But that’s just a guess.
OTOH, perhaps the motor needs a load too?.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Can any one explain why the motor starting pulsing when I increase the speed from very slow, when the belt was not attached?
Quite possibly something to do with the schematic and layout and list of equipment used which....you have not supplied.
If you have links, provide them here...don't expect people here to have to do searches for your information.

Take note that, depending on point of view and lack of precise detail, all car /truck/tractor tyres are the same.(all round)
Now tell that to the bloke you need to buy tyres from for your application.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The inertia of the flywheel I suspect. Try it again without the flywheel and see what it does.

Andy 1066

Jan 31, 2018
I would take a guess with the controller requiring more of a load.
But that’s just a guess.
OTOH, perhaps the motor needs a load too?.
Thank you for your thoughts on what you think has gone wrong, and the solution you suggested, and I appreciate you taking the time out, to reply to my thread.

Andy 1066

Jan 31, 2018
Quite possibly something to do with the schematic and layout and list of equipment used which....you have not supplied.
If you have links, provide them here...don't expect people here to have to do searches for your information.

Take note that, depending on point of view and lack of precise detail, all car /truck/tractor tyres are the same.(all round)
Now tell that to the bloke you need to buy tyres from for your application.
Thank you for your thoughts on what you think has gone wrong, and the solution you suggested, and I appreciate you taking the time out, to reply to my thread.