Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is there a way to send a program from my arduino to my computer?

jarvis2.0

Apr 29, 2015
I recently wrote a program on a computer that is really long and i don't want to have to rewrite it. i uploaded the program onto my arduino uno but i can't figure out how to import it to my computer. can someone help me?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I am not sure what you are trying to do. Did you lose the source code on the host computer and you are trying to recover it from a programmed device? If so, you will not get back the source program, you will get back the compiled program, in machine language.

Bob

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I am not sure what you are trying to do. Did you lose the source code on the host computer and you are trying to recover it from a programmed device? If so, you will not get back the source program, you will get back the compiled program, in machine language.

Bob
@jarvis2.0 , sad but true... The source code cannot be recovered from the Arduino...
What happens when you program it.. is that your code gets manipulated and translated to 'AVR' based machine code, which is then written to the Arduino.

You 'CAN' get a program to give you source code from this... but there are some issues:
-The language and words you used are forever lost.
-The variable names are forever lost, as is the structure and comments you put together.
-Once downloaded and decompiled, the program may look greek to you because the program was written to an AVR microcontroller, so the source code you get back will be to replicate this.
-Decompilers are not smart... they may end up making loops or gotos or if statements that you did not write. Then end result of the program may be close enough to use, but will ALWAYS require you to do a lot of work to correct.

If you really want to do it... look into 'decompilers' and be warned that you may not be able to get the code back based on how it was programmed... some devices do not allow their code to be read once written.

jarvis2.0

Apr 29, 2015
ok thanks. I just wrote the program on a friends computer and i might be able to get it from him.