Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is there anyone familiar with the Pioneer DEH-55SDK car stereo?

OhMy

Apr 5, 2014
Hi!
Recently I got a Pioneer DEH-55SDK car stereo unit, not sure, if it is in a working condition, but would like to find that out. The problem is the wiring of it. It has unusually many wires sticking out of it, but I could not find any info on how to connect it to a power source and "bring to life", so to speak.
Can anyone, please, help me with that?

Thank you.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Please take a good picture of the back of the stereo showing the wires.
Thanks
Adam

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hello OhMy 'gawd',
Nice photos. But can you take close up pics of the letters / numbers on the board by the connectors?
You may have to push the wires to one side in order to do so.
Also, you may be required to lift the lid and take more pics (close) of the inside of the connectors and the associated letters / numbers or symbols on the board.

I can identify a few of the wires, but more pics would be good.

Martin

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I would almost bet the farm that the grey wire with red and white inside are meant for RCA outputs.

You can desolder the white connector on the pcb in photo 4. Then solder in new wires to connect the power to the unit. Unless you have the harness that came with it. Terminal 1 is for battery, not sure what terminal 2 is, 3 is for antenna connection, 4 is ground, and 5 is most likely for switching on an amplifier.

Last edited:

OhMy

Apr 5, 2014
Thank you for your effort.
The only explanations for the pins are the ones seen on the small PCB. They are pretty much the same on both sides. I guess, the antenna connects to that thick black connector, right? Here are some more pics:
PICT7194.JPG PICT7196.JPG PICT7197.JPG PICT7199.JPG

OhMy

Apr 5, 2014
Thank you, somehow managed to power it on. Kinda works, but some functions still are not understandable without a proper manual, which, of course, is nowhere to be found. :)

Thanks again.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
Terminal looks like it could be labeled ICM...Ignition Control Module??? LOL! Good luck.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir OH MY ! . . . . . .

OK since you do seem to be coming back with more info....and might I commend you on very GOOD info ! initiate a . . . .pat . .. pat . . .PAT on yer' back.

Maybe my keystrokes, now being expended, will not be for naught .

Your reason for little data on this unit with the clipped wires (stolen? ) is that it is being a "sheltered" model of Pioneer that is solely
distributed thru . . . .who else? . . . . Wally Woild ! . . .for a mere 118 Amellican dollah . . .babycakes ! WOW WOW WOW
. . .its currently out of stock, however.

If you get your self a "companion" owners manual from Pioneer , you should then be able to at least pre flight check, taxi and get off the ground.

That manual . . . . . its-a look-a like-a 'dis:

(Hot Linked )
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-X5500HD_OwnersManual112712.pdf

Heres a pic of its faceplate, to compare yours against:

DEH-X5500HD_large.jpg

pict7183-jpg.22923

I'se be veri guds at interpretaticating wires-es-es . . . . .

In this photo above , can I take my first "given" in that the connector being at the far left is your antenna input . . .(hee . . hee.)
Your two boards swing in and SOMEHOW are just barely able to sit side by side and fit in that cramped space above the DVD/CD players mechanics.

The board with the white Molex connector and its five pins . . . .of which you sort of done a number on its two end pins
DOES plug into a like Female connector at the rear of the radio . . .doesn't it ?

I am seeing that board as being the stand alone power supply for the unit.

And as per this forums . . .esteemed . . . Sir Bigone 5500's comment of :

"You can desolder the white connector on the pcb in photo 4. Then solder in new wires to connect the power to the unit."

And that procedure would not be necessary IF the unit plugs IN and WHERE I mentioned just above . . . now awaiting your confirming response on that.
The massive collection of electrolytic filters certainly fill the bill, in the aspect of its being a power supply as well as the rear mounted AN6540 which is a linear, low drop out switchable 8.5 VDC voltage regulator.The other one is a switchable 5VDC linear regulator.
Dead center of the chassis is a TO-220 semiconductor that doesn't even rate a heat sink, so it might be related to circuitry of the # 1005 transformer at the left in a common blocking oscillator circuit to get some supply voltages .

NO 60-100KHZ switchmode technology involved with this sets power supply !

The front tra . . . . .oooop s . . . . .inductor , with the closed copper buss band, looks to be just an inline filter for the power supply, along with the related reddish brown L/C ferrite beaded EMI/RFI filter networks

The other chassis mounted assembly seems to have its output bullet connectors and PROPER wire color coding assignments HIGHLY suggesting that unit, being a frontal Right and Left channels of an Audio Output amplifier .

Now for addressing all of the the cutoff leads, it's logical for the grey covered wire with its one or two internal wires to be supplying one audio output for an external woof-woof-woofer / sub woofer amp, OR if being 2 or 3 leads, them being R and L channel pre amp outputs and the wires are foil wrapped for their shielding,so expect a bare wire intertwined against the foil to serve as a good solderable ground connection.

The large RED wire would be the 12VDC power input.
Suspect the large bare stranded copper wire to be ground.
Standard wire coding for a power antenna is BLUE, see if 12VDC doesn't pop up there, when the radio function is activated.
Standard wire coding for a "keep alive" supply , that is always 12VDC hot, for the memory associated with set electronics, is being YELLOW.
Standard wire coding for a dash light illumination level associated drive is ORANGE
Yer' gots me on the GREEN, as its USUALLY just one of the speaker wires coding.
You might ohm it out in a no power connected condition and see if it is possibly being another ground connect.

That's about all that I can contribute, other than, if the prior user had not initiated and activated a security code on the portable face plate . . . . .consider yourself to be VERY . . . .VERY . . .VERY . . . LUCKY !

73's de Edd

Last edited:

OhMy

Apr 5, 2014
Thank you, 73's de Edd, for this huge amount of text with some good info in it! :)
But, to your disappointment, it has not been stolen (at least by me :)), it was given to me by friend just as a piece of garbage, meant to be used for parts or whatever. :D
The front panel looks kinda different, than the one you suggested. Probably because it is a couple of decades older ;)
PICT7202.JPG

Cheers! :)

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Yep, your unit is a totally and completely different earlier circa 89 vintage unit, but I believe that the wire color codes of the units clipped wires will agree with my given info.
Looks like the clipped grey shielded cable was for the outputting of the audio for the Right and Left channel REAR speakers, if desired, but they have to go to a SEPARATE power amplifier and that then would feed those speakers.
No FREE service schematics floating around that I see.

73's de Edd