Maker Pro
Maker Pro

It's Been a Long Time.....question

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Hi folks:

It has been a long time since eI have been here, because I have put my electronics projects on hold.

I'm not ready to get back to it just yet, but I have a question that I am sure someone here could help with.

I bought a new Hinston Internet radio which I love. It sounds great. gets all kinds of stations across the world etc. It even looks great (see pic).

You will notice that there is a large silver round dial to the right, that has a blue/purple LED light around it that glows. That dial's purpose, is mainly to turn the volume up or down. I find that many times, when I approach it and touch it to turn the dial, it shuts the radio off and causes it to restart. I don't understand why this is happening. Sometimes, it works fine, but I'd say half the time, it restarts it.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? It shouldn't be.

Thank-you

Attachments

• IMG_5590.jpg
    IMG_5590.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 12

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Have you got new carpet or similar?
Sounds like a static charge.
Insulate the knob as a temporary test.

Martin

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
There is carpet in the room yes. Most often, I am laying in bed, and I will try to increase or decrease the volume, after I had been lying there for a while. I suppose it still can be static. How does one insulate the knob?

I have not really noticed if it is more often or less, on dry days, but my home has a brand new central humidifier.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I’m not saying it is static, just possibly.
To test it, wrap some tissue around the knob and wrap that with insulating tape. (Keeps sticky residue off knob).
And try it for a night or two.

Martin

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Or try grounding yourself by touching something else, earthed, first, each time.
If you confirm that it is static, maybe there are things you can do to make it more robust.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
While the perf-metal speaker grille probably is not grounded, it still is a large capacitive plate you can charge up, drawing charge out of your fingers. Touch the grille first, then the know, and see if it makes a difference.

ak

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Welcome back.
It is winter and some places on earth get very cold. Your furnace heats the air inside but reduces the humidity that is needed to reduce or eliminate static. A humidifier is used to increase the humidity back to normal and your health will also be better

Hey, It gets very cold here in winter but I have not used a humidifier for 35 years or longer. Years ago I had static problems but not anymore.