Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I've got a switch that i don't know the correct name of. Can someone help?

WireLord55

Jun 14, 2018
Hi,

Well I'm new here and I have got a switch that i don't know the correct name of. Can someone help?

The switch is from a Transair RB-242 CB radio.

Thanks,
Wirelord55

Attachments

• IMG20180614174736.jpg
    IMG20180614174736.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 70

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir WireLord55 . . . . .

Be-yoot-i-full . . . one of a kind . . . it's a slide switch . . . . . PRESS to TALK . . . . transmit switch and being totally unobtanium.
You just need an electronics journeymans expertise in pulling that slide switch, with its mounting tabs and switch connections and solder sucking or wicking to be free and floating from its soldered connections.
Then a splaying apart of the foldover tabs of the bakelite / fiberboard, that have the slide contacts on it, and then an initial degreasing of the contacts.
Then clean them with the extreme care afforded the cleaning of smudges from the Magna Carta, in preserving the contacts precious metal overcoats.
When deoxidized and burnished /buffed, to all shiny contacts again, place a non oxidant coating on them and use a separate lube on the sliding mechanical portions / aspects of the switch .
Re crimp the tabs to the bakelite / fiberboard and reinstall into the previously vacated solder land holes on the units PCB.

Then . . .good for another 50 yrs.

Your . . .chrome . . . .looking as this one does ?

upload_2018-6-14_4-43-27.png

73's de Edd

WireLord55

Jun 14, 2018
Hi,

Yes. Exactly.

Except the guide pins in the switch are broken. I know this because the metal bit to toggle transmission was not in the right position so, me being me, opened it up to see if I could fix it. I did succeed in fixing it, but all the parts of the switch went everywhere. I got all the pieces back in their places, but in doing so, mangled some of the guide pins in the switch.

So could i possibly find another part to replace that with?

Or

Make a work around?

In the second option

How would i go about making a work around?

Many thanks,
WireLord55

Attachments

• IMG20180614205834.jpg
    IMG20180614205834.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir WireLord55 . . . . .

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . .

AND does that show that you NEGLECTED to solder suck /or/ solder wick + rosin flux all of the 18 connections to be able to lift that fiberboard plate and its contacts out ?

That is being a VERY-VERY-VERY special 6 pole double throw unit, arranged as three sets of two and you should have accounted for 6 small folded over phosphor bronze slide contacts inside. .
With each one sliding between its one common center contact and to a contact to either side.
Normally, a spring keeps all of the 6 contacts slid over from its center toward and bridging the contacts toward the side of the unit, in order to have the unit in receive mode.
When you press for transmit, the 6 contacts transition and slide towards the 6 opposite pairs of contacts, being towards the inside of the unit.

What you show me looks pretty good for its fixed contacts excepting for a coat of the oxide mentioned and some slight grooving from past repeated USE.

OR if you are lucky maybe one slider contact unit might have not been used on that unit, thus giving you one freebie, if only one of the 6 slider contacts was MANGLED. .

I'm rolling over in my mind if a SCHADOW brand of switch might have used those same types of sliding contacts.
Can you pull out a machinist rule and take measurements and a close up, good quality photo of a good slide unit contact .

73's de Edd

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Nomenclature: 6PDT Pushbutton Momentary Slide Switch. Switchcraft, C & K and E-Switch used to make these types but now?