Maker Pro
Maker Pro

JBL onbeat xtreme only works when warm.

Rick in the desert

Mar 6, 2021
Hi there. I am new to this forum.
I got a JBL onbeat xtreme bluetooth dock speaker that started to behave strange recently. One day the sound started cracking and would only produce sound in like half a second intervals. I tried an old trick by putting it out under the sun for several hours until the casing was really hot and surprisingly it started to work fine. I played it for several hours into the evening and when the evening chill kicked in the problem started again. Are there any components on the PCB known for being temp sensitive that I could try to locate and replace?
Many thanks in advance for any ideas.
Regards
Rick

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Welcome to EP Rick,
I have never heard the old trick of putting it in the sun for a while. Although I have heard of putting in a freezer.
That said, it sure sounds like a loose connection that is possibly expanding in heat. Either way you’ll need to open the unit and have a real good, close-up visual inspection of the board. You’ll be looking for dry/cracked solder joints, loose connections or obviously damaged components.
If you see any of the above, take some close up photos and post them here if you need further help.

Martin

nextike

Nov 30, 2023
Hi there. I am new to this forum.
I got a JBL onbeat xtreme bluetooth dock speaker that started to behave strange recently. One day the sound started cracking and would only produce sound in like half a second intervals. I tried an old trick by putting it out under the sun for several hours until the casing was really hot and surprisingly it started to work fine. I played it for several hours into the evening and when the evening chill kicked in the problem started again. Are there any components on the PCB known for being temp sensitive that I could try to locate and replace?
Many thanks in advance for any ideas.
Regards
Rick
Hi! Have you found solution for that problem? We have 2 of this speaker and we have the same problem with these. Thank you in advance!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Hi! Have you found solution for that problem? We have 2 of this speaker and we have the same problem with these. Thank you in advance!
Yes. You have to imagine these things get dropped,kicked around. Things are going to wiggle loose.
it sure sounds like a loose connection that is possibly expanding in heat. Either way you’ll need to open the unit and have a real good, close-up visual inspection of the board. You’ll be looking for dry/cracked solder joints, loose connections or obviously damaged components.
If you see any of the above, take some close up photos and post them here if you need further help