Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Jog Wheel Problems- Very Finicky- Repair, Replace, Clean??

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
Hello All:
I have a drum module that has a non-stop rotating Jog Wheel. In case you don't know what a drum module is, I will provide my own short description: A drum module acts as the source for drum and percussion sounds. The sounds are triggered by an outside electronic pulse. The synthesized sound output of the drum module is sent to an amplifier and played through speakers or a headphone.

This Jog Wheel is used to change the values of various functions while in a specific Menu. I would say that they incorporated the large Jog Wheel, so that a person could scroll easily through a long list of values quickly. I primarily use this wheel to scroll through the many selections of preset drum sounds.

As you turn the Jog Wheel, you can feel the indents. (*one complete revolution is equal to 28 indents, or 28 values.) Whenever you feel an indent, the value is supposed to change. The change can immediately be heard in some cases (depending on what menu you are in), but the change is always visual in the small display window. Rotate the Wheel clockwise and the values increase; counter-clockwise, they decrease.

The problem I am having is the values aren't "consistently" changing as I pass through the indents. I keep rotating the Jog Wheel and it may make 3 or 4 complete revolutions at normal speed (passing by 64-92 indents) before it changes to the next value.

If you try to be very careful, and rotate the dial (Jog Wheel) very slowly, you may sometimes get better results. The key word here is "better". At best going slowly and carefully, you may get it to change value once or twice per rotation- after passing through 28 indents?

So, should I try to repair, replace, or clean the wheel? I haven't taken the cover off the module, to see if there is a way to clean the inside the Jog Wheel and am anticipating it's a sealed component. I was hoping it would be like a regular pot that can be cleaned with a shot of compressed air.

If I need to replace the Jog Wheel, how would I know what the part number is, and where would I get one? Are all Jog Wheels the same; very doubtful. Does anyone know what the inside of a Jog Wheel looks like? Does anyone know a way around this? Maybe replace the Jog Wheel with a push button? (If I can't find a replacement.)

The truth is that I bought this module used, from somebody selling it on craigslist. The guy swore it worked perfectly. No reason to doubt him, because I have another one like it and never had any problems. I paid a premium price for it because I needed another one quickly. I can just imagine his little brother playing with the dial, seeing how fast he can spin it around and around.

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
Sorry, I forgot to include this with my previous post.

Attachments

• 2-rotated.jpg
    2-rotated.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 131

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The jog wheel is likely a rotary encoder. It is possible that this one is worn out or broken.

If you can open up the unit and find a part number you'll be a lot closer to finding a replacement part.

Removing and replacing it may require soldering skills, and possibly a little mechanical ingenuity if it's not obvious how to remove it.

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
No problem de-soldering and re-soldering. I'll look for a part number and post the results. Hoping I don't have to go to the manufacturer for another one. I have NEVER been able to get electronic parts from a manufacturer.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Once you know what it looks like, and know that it is a rotary encoder (it's unlikely to be anything else) in the worst case you can look through the list of rotary encoders that some place like Digikey has. You can narrow down the search by looking at the type of mounting, shaft diameter, etc. In the worst case you might have to adapt something to fit and that may entail figuring out the pinout on the original device. Luckily you report it still somethimes working.

But cleaning may be a first try. There are spray on contact cleaners that might help. However after opening the unit you might see another cause. Let's wait for a visual inspection first...

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
If you can't find a suitable replacement encoder it may be possible to disassemble and repair the existing one.

First of all, check and make sure the solder connections to the encoder are good. It could be as simple as a bad solder joint causing your problem and the encoder itself is fine.

If resoldering the encoder doesn't help, remove it, and see if you can take it apart. It's probably an optical encoder; the jog wheel turns a slotted disc inside the encoder, and a LED and photodiode sense the rotation and produce output pulses corresponding to the speed and direction of rotation. It could just need cleaning (especially if it isn't a sealed part and the environment is dusty or smoky), or maybe a bad solder joint on the board inside the encoder.

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
If you can't find a suitable replacement encoder it may be possible to disassemble and repair the existing one.

First of all, check and make sure the solder connections to the encoder are good. It could be as simple as a bad solder joint causing your problem and the encoder itself is fine.

If resoldering the encoder doesn't help, remove it, and see if you can take it apart. It's probably an optical encoder; the jog wheel turns a slotted disc inside the encoder, and a LED and photodiode sense the rotation and produce output pulses corresponding to the speed and direction of rotation. It could just need cleaning (especially if it isn't a sealed part and the environment is dusty or smoky), or maybe a bad solder joint on the board inside the encoder.
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I'd also like to thank all the others who showed an interest in helping me with this. This has been the "friendliest" Forum I have ever been involved with.