Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Join two or more power supplies together - create quad output

marcusmacman

May 15, 2015
Hi there,

I've been trying to fix a quad output power module but really struggling due to the components damaged beyond recognition.
But i might have a plan, just wanted to run it past you guys before i purchase them.

I've been able to find a dual output module for 5vdc and 12volt dc but not for all four. My question is, can i combine the dual output module with two other separate power modules to give me for 4 outputs required. see attached diagram

Input 240v AC

Outputs required are:-

5v DC at 0.2Amps
+20v DC at 0.6Amps
+12v DC at 0.15Amps
+9v DC at 0.05Amps

Clipboard01a.jpg

thanks for any advice
Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
what are you powering?

do you already have a 240VAC to any voltage DC power supply? What are it's specs?

There may be some relatively simple solutions depending on what you have and what you're powering.

What you're powering is important because something like a sensitive preamplifier requires some characteristics of a power supply that (say) a computer does not.

marcusmacman

May 15, 2015
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. Im trying to repair a control board to a Whirl pool/Jacuzzi. It has a piggy back board which i have removed shown in the attached IMG_3533.jpg, which produces the 4 DC outputs. The smoothing capacity went short and took a few components with it. Unfortunately i've not been able to identify them as they have been scorched. The burn marks on the main board were caused by a mosfet exploding underneath the piggyback board.
I've not purchased a new power supply yet, i was looking at the EOS range which seem to do a variety of outputs, but not all four on one module, hence why i'm asking if i can combine 2 or 3 modules to get the right number of outputs.
thanks again, really appreciate any help
Marcus

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3533.JPG
    IMG_3533.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 220

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Hi Marcus,
In general,you can combine different power supplies to get the needed number of outputs.
In this case I wouldn't recommend that you do!

The best solution is to get the exact same original part from Electrolux,it may be a bit more expensive but worth it...
Is it a hard to get part? too expensive?

Here is why:
1.You do not know the efficiency of the PS.
it can cause future reliability problems because of more heat generated(total power delivered is about 15W).

2.You do not know the full requirements for the voltages,
ripple/noise allowed,short circuit protection,sink/source ability etc.
So an improvised solution can cause additional parts damage and/or non consistent operation of the machine

3.You have very limited space-again a heat issue.

4.It is obviously a SMPS mains operated one,hence you have a safety issue. especially in the case of a washing machine-water/moisture.

Last edited by a moderator: