Maker Pro
Maker Pro

JVC BR-S611U - Warning 41, tape load ok, not retracted on eject, no play/ff/rw

BreakawayGlenn

Apr 18, 2021
The unit in question is a JVC BR-S611U. This is an old professional S-VHS edit VCR. It loads okay. First, the Stop lamp comes on and a couple of seconds later goes out and the Eject lamp comes on with a Warning 36. A couple of seconds later the Eject lamp goes out and the Warning 36 is replaced with a Warning 41. The unit positions the tape in the "half loaded" position. No response to play, fast forward, or rewind. On eject, the tape is not retracted back into the cassette.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? The unit was acquired on auction. I have an archive of S-VHS tapes I recorded for clients in the 1990's that I want to digitize. The unit will need to go to a shop as I probably lack the skills to adequately make the repair.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Breakaway Glenn . . . . .

Since you were able to observe those series of actions, with the units top cover removed . . . . .AND . . . .with the unit not chewing up an OLD test tape . . . .(I hope.)
Can you next see if it will FAST FORWARD a tape to its extreme end and then FAST REWIND the tape back to its beginning..
Thus, making a quasi-evaluation of the state of its rubber belts / idlers conditions.
HINT . . . . .
With your now having the units top cover removed . . . . work in very subdued lighting for observation . . .as bright lighting can erroneously "fool" / trigger internal optical sensors.
DEMO . . . . .
Have the unit operating where it is moving tape and then selectively flood areas with light from a gooseneck table lamp or droplight or bright flashlight . . . .and then . . . . ¡ WHAM ! . . . . you will see that of which I speak.
( Don't panic, as it should only require a restart and a possible soiled underwear change.)

73's de Edd . . . . .

Timeless Tip . . . . .
Don't mess around with / aggravate old men.
Because, the older we get, the less significant "Life in Prison" is being, as a deterrent.

Last edited:

BreakawayGlenn

Apr 18, 2021
Hi 73's de Edd
I probably gave you an inaccurate description of the problem. The doesn't fully load so there's no way to fast forward or rewind. It is stuck between not loaded and fully loaded. I have a link here to a short video of what happens when I power up the unit (not much). The tape door that flips up and down is already in a lifted position and it gets lifted slightly more, and the tape shell rises a fraction of an inch for half a second.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KN8owtQkBCPZoDag5rG8tFCFebMcDnHV/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The google drive link does not work.
It asks for a login.

Bertus