Maker Pro
Maker Pro

JVC GR-C7U is having issues accepting NiCad batteries and charger, though the camcorder can turn on.

GRC7Uranus1994Z

Jan 20, 2021
Good Evening people,

My JVC VideoMovie GR-C7U is having internal issues, accepting a fully-charged NiCad battery along with the cable adapter (via battery charger). I have obtained a new NiCad battery and charger that work, and after waiting for my camera to have some usability and function I was hoping the charged battery and adapter worked. Strangely it turned on the camera, but all I keep getting in the words of my manual, "No function is available with more than two mode indicators lit. If this should happen when using power supply units other than the battery pack, turn their POWER switch on and off. With a battery pack, replace it with another charged one."

Which I had done so, after waiting to use this badboy again; however I still have bumped into the same issue. Nothing else of my camcorder is broken nor dead. Should I open up the camcorder to see if I need to replace any electrolytic capacitors or whatever helps the batteries turn the camera on fully functional?

I might ask my Uncle once more about this situation with the camcorder, or I think I can give it a shot myself and see if there's anyone else out there with this camcorder and having similar or exact problems.

Please reach out as soon as possible, it's not a priority I just want to use my JVC GR-C7U camcorder. I am using my NiCad battery I bought for this camcorder with my backup one (via clip leads) along with my modded Li-Ion battery (originally the GR-C7U's dead battery that came with the camcorder) which works with my JVC GR-C7U and my Panasonic PV-D526D.

Thank You and Please Be Safe during Quarantine,
Jacob R.

P.S. - This is the camcorder issue as I quoted from my JVC GR-C7U manual. Kinda old school confusing, but I do understand they mean replace the camcorder with a charged battery which I did, and it still came up with this issue. It made me wonder if there is an internal issue where I could get this fixed and usable on my own end.
20210111_190133.jpg

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Imho using NiCd in place of Li-Ion doesn't work. Have you tried a goof Li-Ion replacement instead?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I am using my NiCad battery I bought for this camcorder with my backup one (via clip leads) along with my modded Li-Ion battery (originally the GR-C7U's dead battery that came with the camcorder)
What NiCad battery and what voltage is it?.
What is the ‘back up’one and what voltage?.
What is ‘ modded’ with the Li-Ion?.
Sounds like you have three batteries/packs connected together. How are they connected?.

Using a dead battery with good ones will drain the good ones and won’t give required voltage.

Can you draw a diagram how you’ve connected all this? It’s a little confusing.

Martin

GRC7Uranus1994Z

Jan 20, 2021
I think I must have explained it where I confused you all. I am so Sorry, I meant to say my old battery that came with my GR-C7U, was dead. So that one I removed the dead cells and used a Li-Ion pack from Tenergy. I followed this YouTube video where someone else successfully done it with their Zenith VM6200.

Also, my AA-V2U charger that came with the camcorder; started to die of usage. Which lead me to grab a Zenith VAC 420 with a Zenith battery pack. Since it was easier to find than the JVC battery packs and chargers from my experience.

Now with the batteries, they turn on the camcorder; But like my manual said, "More than two or more mode indicators lit" happened with both the Zenith battery and the Li-Ion battery (which was originally the dead one) when I put them onto the camcorder. It got me to the VTR mode, but it wouldn't function from there on then.

I don't have the two batteries hooked up to each other, they are separate batteries: one I ordered as a new with the charger (Zenith) and then the other one that I got with my camcorder (ProMaster) was the one I converted to Li-Ion.

I am terribly sorry for confusing you all. I can get a video of me putting the two batteries one at a time on my GR-C7U and show you the issue I'm having with the camera, it made me come to believe there's an internal issue within the camera, not the batteries. :) I am sorry once more for the confusion. I have a tough time trying to say exactly the words I want to when I am speaking for myself.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Are the Zenith batteries the same voltage and amperage as the JVC original?.

Martin

GRC7Uranus1994Z

Jan 20, 2021
Are the Zenith batteries the same voltage and amperage as the JVC original?.

Martin
Yes Zenith is a rebadge of the JVC VideoMovie camcorders, so technically they are the exact same batteries. E.G. My AA-V2U charger's (JVC) is the same as a VAC-420 charger (Zenith). :) So I just am scratchin my head like, why can't this camcorder just let me use the camcorder with my batteries? :) It is so frustrating but worth it in my opinion.

GRC7Uranus1994Z

Jan 20, 2021
Here's that video of the person whom managed to convert their NiCad battery to Li-Ion of the Zenith VM6200 (JVC rebadge).

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Ok.
Personally, I think 11.1V is too high for a 9.6V device. This obviously depends on the circuitry.
It may work for a while but heat build up on components may destroy it.
You could put two series diodes in to drop a volt or so.
I presume you will take the 18650s out and charge them with the appropriate charger?.
I would start with the correct (or close to it) voltage, then try it again.

Martin

GRC7Uranus1994Z

Jan 20, 2021
Ok.
Personally, I think 11.1V is too high for a 9.6V device. This obviously depends on the circuitry.
It may work for a while but heat build up on components may destroy it.
You could put two series diodes in to drop a volt or so.
I presume you will take the 18650s out and charge them with the appropriate charger?.
I would start with the correct (or close to it) voltage, then try it again.

Martin
I'll see what I can do, though I think it may be an internal issue with my camcorder. I don't think it has to do with any of the batteries, I mean with my Zenith NiCad battery, it didn't even take that 9.6v NiCad as it wants either. It was strange, thank you all too for your answers and honesty. I think you're support will help me get to fixing my camcorders issue internally. I hate sounding too repetitive as well so I am trying my best explaining what I can with my knowledge and even that video alone helped me convert my dead battery to Li-Ion. So it's worth my subscription to their channel especially, not strictly because they and I have the same camcorder (with their's being rebadged). :)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I can give you some advice.
Don’t believe everything you see in these kinds of videos.
The video makers rarely understand what they are doing because they copied somebody else doing it wrong too.
If the 9.6V NiCad did not get the device to function properly, then there are other issues.
Camcorders are renown for being difficult to open correctly and harder to put back together properly!.

Martin

GRC7Uranus1994Z

Jan 20, 2021
I can give you some advice.
Don’t believe everything you see in these kinds of videos.
The video makers rarely understand what they are doing because they copied somebody else doing it wrong too.
If the 9.6V NiCad did not get the device to function properly, then there are other issues.
Camcorders are renown for being difficult to open correctly and harder to put back together properly!.

Martin
I just want to say thank you once more :) That's what I believe is the problem, the camcorder has internal issues. And I agree on your advice, I don't believe everything I see on video, but in that case I think it helped me figure out that my GR-C7U has to be opened and looked at to see if any chipboards, electrolytic capacitors, etc., are acting up or anything is damaged or shit the bed. :) I am determined though even with buying this camcorder around June 2018. There's a will there's a way. :)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
If you carefully open it, you can give the boards (probably 2 or 3) a visual and look for swollen or leaking electrolytic capacitors. Also any obvious hot or burnt sections of PCB or components. Check for cracked or dry/cold solder joints.
Then you can check the area where the battery connects to the board.
You can also take quality close up photos and post them here.

Martin

GRC7Uranus1994Z

Jan 20, 2021
Sounds like a plan, I will go and do that then! Thank you all once more and please be safe during quarantine lockdown. :)