Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kenwood KA-127 Stereo Integrated Amplifier - what would be a good cost-justified replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggenpuss

Jul 24, 2014
The item to be replaced is a 125 watts per channel Kenwood KA-127
Stereo Integrated Amplifier Receiver with equalizer
current components-tuner;CD player, Dual cassette, turntable and hooked up a BR DVD player

I have had this system since 1989, it has been a dependable great system, recently the amp has had the issue of significantly reduced volume output, all other components work great and would like to get a compatible integrated amp/receiver so that I could use my existing components but would like to update to have some ipod/iphone/android/tablet/internet functionality to play pandora; netflix , etc too... any advice?

Looking for about $300 or lower price range

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
That question is better asked on a HiFi forum.
I find that modern amplifier/receivers are low quality compared to the older equipment.
You could post some photos(of the PC board here and maybe someone can help yoou fix it.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I suppose somebody will have replacement ideas for you here.
Most people want the new functions, like you do.
I agree with shumifan50. You won't find the quality of your Kenwood, and it for sure won't last nearly as long as your Kenwood did.
I've got Kenwood receivers and Akai reel-to-reel recorders I bought wth my Teledyne AR-2ax & AR-3ax speakers back in the early 1970's.
I've done a (very) few repairs on them over the years, and NOBODY I know, has anywhere near the quality sound I have.
(I did rebuild the 3ax's once though)
Go ahead and buy your new-fangled replacement, but if I were you, I'd ask some more questions here, about repairing that old Kenwood,
instead of trashing it. (You'll regret it when it's gone).

Ziggenpuss

Jul 24, 2014
Thank you both and I completely agree I love my Kenwood system and have loved it for 25 years, if fixing it is an option then that's awesome, I am in the process of asking a friend of a friend who is an audio visual guy what my options are..let's hope I get to love my Kenwood for some more years ;)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
They were specifically designed to be repaired when yours was made. The Japanese made some of the best quality gear around back then, now they just let the Chinese do it for them for cheap, and still
put their Japanese name on them. The last few years I paid extra for the Sony name, only to have trash made in China, was a waste of money.

TBass

Jul 4, 2019
Get yourself a Soundcraftsman A200 power ampand a decent preamp(Carver for example. Both should fit in your budget IF YOU SHOP AROUND.
I have the same Kenwood integrated and I like it fine.....but....the A200 will blow your mind.....if you're not happy with it....I'll buy it off ya......

TBass

Jul 4, 2019
They were specifically designed to be repaired when yours was made. The Japanese made some of the best quality gear around back then, now they just let the Chinese do it for them for cheap, and still
put their Japanese name on them. The last few years I paid extra for the Sony name, only to have trash made in China, was a waste of money.
Shortround.......Evidently you've never heard a Phase Linear...Nakamichi....Soundcraftsman.....SAE. system.
I have owned a KA 127 KENWOOD......I liked it fine.....but it's in a seperate class.
The brands I nomed are like Bugatti compared to Lincoln (127). You don't use a ka127 to drive Klipsh Horns.....Cerwin Vegas... 901's.....etc.
At one time Kenwood had a superb product. ....the 127 isn't superb......good.......but definitely NOT AUDIOPHILE.

TBass

Jul 4, 2019
I suppose somebody will have replacement ideas for you here.
Most people want the new functions, like you do.
I agree with shumifan50. You won't find the quality of your Kenwood, and it for sure won't last nearly as long as your Kenwood did.
I've got Kenwood receivers and Akai reel-to-reel recorders I bought wth my Teledyne AR-2ax & AR-3ax speakers back in the early 1970's.
I've done a (very) few repairs on them over the years, and NOBODY I know, has anywhere near the quality sound I have.
(I did rebuild the 3ax's once though)
Go ahead and buy your new-fangled replacement, but if I were you, I'd ask some more questions here, about repairing that old Kenwood,
instead of trashing it. (You'll regret it when it's gone).
I like your reply......but there are systems head and shoulders above the one you described. I'm sure its good and I mean no offense.......Ever hear of Phase Linear?☺

TBass

Jul 4, 2019
I AGREE......SONY THESE DAYS IS CRAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.