Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kid's battery operated car stopped moving

wakilnikzad

Apr 14, 2020
Power button of my kid's battery operated car jammed and I replaced it with a new button. Now the car starts but does not move. Neither with the remote control nor with the pedal.

I know the car starts because the sound of starting engine plays out and all the lights turn on. Also, the horn button and the music player work fine.

I did the following but found no solution:
  • Checked the batteries. They seem ok and fully charged.
  • Check all the wirings for any cut or loose connection. Everything seems ok.
  • Tested all 3 motors (1 for steering wheel and 2 for rear wheels) by connecting each directly to the battery. All 3 rotate normally and seem ok.
  • Checked the control board for any sign of damage or burn but found nothing.
With its old power button, the light inside the power button used to remain on/red, but now the light starts for a couple of seconds and goes off.

When I replaced the power button, I noticed 3 wires. I guess 2 of them are for the power and 1 is for the light inside the button.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

wakilnikzad

Apr 14, 2020
These are the photos of the car
Power button of my kid's battery operated car jammed and I replaced it with a new button. Now the car starts but does not move. Neither with the remote control nor with the pedal.

I know the car starts because the sound of starting engine plays out and all the lights turn on. Also, the horn button and the music player work fine.

I did the following but found no solution:
  • Checked the batteries. They seem ok and fully charged.
  • Checked all the wirings for any cut or loose connection. Everything seems ok.
  • Tested all 3 motors (1 for steering wheel and 2 for rear wheels) by connecting each directly to the battery. All 3 rotate normally and seem ok.
  • Checked the control board for any sign of damage or burn but found nothing.
With its old power button, the light inside the power button used to remain on/red, but now the light starts for a couple of seconds and goes off.

When I replaced the power button, I noticed 3 wires. I guess 2 of them are for the power and 1 is for the light inside the button.

Followings are the photos with model of the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200415_095830.jpg
    20200415_095830.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200415_095847.jpg
    20200415_095847.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200415_095923.jpg
    20200415_095923.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 13

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Nice pictures..
But I think @Tha fios agaibh meant pictures of the old switch and new switch. Plus how you are connecting it.
A simple diagram of the complete circuit would be useful too including colours of cables.

Martin

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm thinking along the same lines as Bluejets and Martaine2005, maybe that switched with the 3 wires was replaced with an incorrect equivalent(?).
I will mention though, having worked on my grandkids cars, that after figuring-out if your switch is the actual problem or not, if you STILL have a problem, take a look at all that plastic gearing to make sure something isn't hung-up mechanically.

wakilnikzad

Apr 14, 2020
These are the photos of the car
I'm thinking along the same lines as Bluejets and Martaine2005, maybe that switched with the 3 wires was replaced with an incorrect equivalent(?).
I will mention though, having worked on my grandkids cars, that after figuring-out if your switch is the actual problem or not, if you STILL have a problem, take a look at all that plastic gearing to make sure something isn't hung-up mechanically.
Thanks for your openion,
Actually I couldn't found similar switch (for 3 wires, 2 for the power and 1 I believe for the small lamp inside the button to show it is powered on/off). So I replaced it with a 2-wire switch. I have attached some more photos with the details of what I have done.

wakilnikzad

Apr 14, 2020

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    129 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    87.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    358.4 KB · Views: 10

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
And how did you wire the new switch. The fact that there are two wires (red, blue) going to the third terminal makes me think there is something more going on there than just a lighted switch.

Bob

wakilnikzad

Apr 14, 2020
Connected 2 wires (1 which I guess is fir the light and 1 for the power) to one leg and 1 to the other leg. With the new switch the car starts, the headlights turn on as normal and the music player also works, but the car does not move. Neither with the remote control nor with the pedal. The remote control does not rotate the steering wheel either.

wakilnikzad

Apr 14, 2020
When replacing the power switch, I noticed that the original switch had a sign of burnt inside it and one of the legs had melted the plastic a little bit, so it was jamming. Also, I remember that the car was connected to power to recharge its batteries for almost 24 hours. That could have caused the problem.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I think the new switch should go between the two red leads that went to one original terminal and the red and blue leads that go to another terminal. If you used the black lead in wiring the new switch I suspect that is wrong.

But please do not make that change without further investigation, you could damage something if I am wrong.

Can you tell me which wires you connected to each terminal of the new switch.

Bob

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Since the board is show in photos I take it that is where the switch in question connects..??

Can you make the #5 photo larger same as you did with #6 photo..?

Show the original switch board end connector with wiring.

Details shown on photo #7 could be correct under certain circumstances so not related to the switch.