Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kindle Fire 1st gen.

Nisar-von-Voltenbräackter

May 23, 2018
I got this for about $15 off eBay and opened it up as my first repair to fix the charge port which was not only obviously defective but fell out upon opening from its solder. I tried in vain to solder it back, damaged a solder pad, and did some research that mentioned use of cold solder technique, which I'm not familiar with, in combination with a hot solder application to the sides.

IMG_20180522_220826_hdr.jpg

h

Is there any way to get this board repaired?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I got this for about $15 off eBay and opened it up as my first repair to fix the charge port which was not only obviously defective but fell out upon opening from its solder. I tried in vain to solder it back, damaged a solder pad, and did some research that mentioned use of cold solder technique, which I'm not familiar with, in combination with a hot solder application to the sides.

IMG_20180522_220826_hdr.jpg

h

Is there any way to get this board repaired?

your pic's didn't show up

Nisar-von-Voltenbräackter

May 23, 2018
Get another one for $15......

seriously - any other repairs would cost you more than getting another unit (hopefully one with a different fault) that you could swap working parts between.

That would actually defeat the purpose. I got it specifically with practicing on fixing the port in mind, because I have a Kindle Fire 7 that needs a better port.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Still no pics....

I suspect the charge port module attaches to the main board via an SMD type connector and ribbon assembly?

Bit pictures will reveal the solution....

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Nisar-von-Voltenbräackter . . . .

My first unit is getting to be almost 4 yrs old so I guess that I will only HAVE to be going inside . . . . . for its eventual battery replacement.

This is very complete info and the only comment I can make is to use a WELL tinned small tip and a soldering iron of adequate heat level so that you can get in and out in a hurry. Also, use plenty of rosin flux.
Now, the closest I can think of your "cold" soldering reference , was possibly the technique of REFLOW soldering . That is where two connections, that are to be joined are BOTH pre tinned.
Of course there is going to be some fool that takes a new connector and THINKS that the current state of tinning on the unit is being good enough. Thinking that extra heat, flux and fresh solder will be adequate . . . . NOT.
If both parts are pre tined they will just immediately inter flow their solder coats together, just as soon as a dot of solder is added for initiating effective and rapid heat transfer.

USELESS TUBE . . . . . HOWTODOITTOIT . . . .

73's de Edd