Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer redesign

Andrewvt

Mar 9, 2018
Newer Kitchen Aid Stand mixers can't really stand up to heavy use, especially kneading dough. I have one that I have replaced parts on and gotten to work only to have it wear out repeatedly. As an experiment I'm going to try to redesign the way it works to see if I can make it much more robust.

My thought is to take all the innards out except the planetary which has a vertical shaft that needs to be turned. Put a different motor in that has a vertical shaft as well. Put a sprocket on each shaft and connect them with a chain. I figure in this way it keeps it very simple and strong.

The planetary needs to be able to be adjusted to turn from 60 to 280 RPMs and the motor on the mixer claims to be 575 watts.

I'm looking for suggestions for motors that meet those requirements as well as a speed control for it. If it ends up being a DC motor I'll need a power supply as well. Additionally, looking for least costly options while making sure it can handle the demands put on it.

I looked at the uxcell DC 12V 250RPM 8mm Shaft Worm Gear Motor High Torque Speed Reduce Turbine which is inexpensive and is close enough to the RPM range, but I couldn't find any good information on what kind of load it can handle. Anyone happen to know if it is up to the job or have other suggestions about anything above?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Usually pick up a cheap Chinese drill at about 750w for around $40, speed control included.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Andrewvt . . . . . .

On their top of the line $1000 unit with its 8 qt mixing bowl.
Looks like no complaints found except one case of the triple spot welded tab that holds the mixing bowl, popped off so there is some serious torque involved.
This is showing the brushed AC / DC motor and its power division ratio between the bread hook vs the bowl.

KITCHEN AID . . . . .
upload_2018-3-9_5-5-37.png

73's de Edd

Andrewvt

Mar 9, 2018
@73's de Edd When you contact Kitchen Aid about these mixers wearing out they tell you they aren't actually made to be used every day. The $1000 model you reference has the same issues as all the others from what I've heard from people who use them heavily. Unfortunately, most reviews are written too close to time of purchase or by people that only lightly use these so they don't really capture the experience people who heavily use them have.

@Bluejets thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered a cheap compact right angle corded drill and a "uniquegoods AC 50-220V 2000W(max) 25A SCR Constant Voltage AC Motor Speed Controller" so I can have a knob to control speed on the outside of the unit. Only thing left to solve is attaching the drill to the 1/2 inch shaft it needs to turn. I'll tackle that once I have the drill in hand so I can see what I have to work with.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I doubt any cheap unit replacement will have everyday use and long life in the same sentence.

Andrewvt

Mar 9, 2018
Good point, but I'd rather start cheap to see if it is a feasible solution. I can always invest in a better drill to drive it later if it seems like I'm headed in the right direction.