Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kitchen worktop LED strip

bubs

Nov 2, 2011
Hi all, hope someone can help me with this.

I'm putting a new kitchen in and we wanted a bright pink ambient light under the wall cupboards and base units. I bought a 5050 rgb leds strip from ebay but it isn't bright enough for the light to be seen further that 10-20cm away, so no good to light a worktop 50cm away.
Does anyone know where i could source an LED strip that would do the job?

thanks
Mike

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all, hope someone can help me with this.

I'm putting a new kitchen in and we wanted a bright pink ambient light under the wall cupboards and base units. I bought a 5050 rgb leds strip from ebay but it isn't bright enough for the light to be seen further that 10-20cm away, so no good to light a worktop 50cm away.
Does anyone know where i could source an LED strip that would do the job?

thanks
Mike
How much 'spare' strip do you have?
If you have the Light hidden under the cabinet... double it up.
Put two strips side-by-side.
It won't be magic, but if you have some spare it will be easy to try.

Two things play a factor here... Brightness and view angle...
A narrow view angle will direct the light in whichever direction the LED is facing. In this case, a really bright LED with a huge view angle will not feel as bright as a dimmer LED with a narrow angle when you are looking at the light it casts on the countertop or wall.
Most LEDs I have seen installed under the wall cabinets are usually 3W puck lights... and even then, installed in white they are mostly directional allowing a faint spotlight affect on the countertop.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Cabinet makers here in Aus generally supply and fit the under bench LED strips, we just provide them with the necessary mains power for their drivers. So that might be an option for you. Must admit that we've never had a request for "pink" though, usually 6000k, more brighter usually the better as they are "work lights" so to speak.

bubs

Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I've got some white led strips which will be the "work lights" part which work great and are a lot brighter than the RGB strip. We were after an ambient glow of pink which would be independent from those and only used occasionally. I tried holding the whole roll of RGB LEDs (5m) under the wall unit and you can barely see any light effect from them when they're made pink so I was wondering if actual pink LEDs would be any better? How would I be able to work out how bright they would be compare to the RGB, without buying them?