Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Know of a good reference book for electronics?

Photomultiplier

Nov 22, 2022
Bearing in mind that I'm still learning about electronics and electricity, today I found myself trying to recall what the power dissipation of SMD resistors is, and what stuff they dissipate their heat in (mostly into the air, mostly into the PCB, or 50/50).
I though, "I know, I'll find a reference book on the subject!" So, I went for the Encyclopedia of Electronic Components, but it doesn't have that info. After much searching, I found that the above book doesn't mention a lot of stuff, like heat dissipation of FR4 PCBs, foot print sizes for common packages, etc. And, believe it or not, but my internet searches still haven't turned up what I want.

Now I'm thinking I'll go to digikey or somewhere and download a datasheet to look up this info... but I still think it would be easier to have a book, a physical one, to look this stuff up in. Granted, if I had bought my SMD resistors from a supplier that had a datasheet, I might not be facing this problem, but really, is having some basic info on your generic SMD/through-hole components that much to ask? Also, only using components bought from a trusted source negates the possibility of reuse.

Anyone know of a good reference book for electronics?

Thanks!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Now I'm thinking I'll go to digikey or somewhere and download a datasheet to look up this info... but I still think it would be easier to have a book, a physical one, to look this stuff up in.
There are only limited amounts of data actually required to design most items so a 'book of everything' would not only be VAST but overkill for the most part.
Over the decades I've downloaded all the datasheets I've ever needed and barely gone back to them since the day I did it - I have Gb of datasheets on a portable drive....wasting space I suppose???
Start your own collection and see what I mean.
today I found myself trying to recall what the power dissipation of SMD resistors is, and what stuff they dissipate their heat in
Why? Armed with the basic manufacturers information is all you need.... are you seriously concerned over mircowatts of dissipation and where it goes? If your intent is to actually PRODUCE heat (and worry where it's going) you're not talking SMD.....
Heat is the product of voltage and current - you should easily be able to calculate the actual dissipation - as to where it goes, you'd have to be putting your device in a very 'isolated' environment to be worried about it but the issue would surely be the COLLECTIVE heat production (again, easily calculated) and dissipation comes down to external factors, not the components themselves.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020

Photomultiplier

Nov 22, 2022
Why? Armed with the basic manufacturers information is all you need.... are you seriously concerned over mircowatts of dissipation and where it goes? If your intent is to actually PRODUCE heat (and worry where it's going) you're not talking SMD.....
Heat is the product of voltage and current - you should easily be able to calculate the actual dissipation - as to where it goes, you'd have to be putting your device in a very 'isolated' environment to be worried about it but the issue would surely be the COLLECTIVE heat production (again, easily calculated) and dissipation comes down to external factors, not the components themselves.
I need to dissipate about 1/4 watt of power. As it turns out, a normal 1206 resistor would do. A 0805 and 0603 could, but that's only for the better ones. It's for running an SMD LED off of a 12v source. The resistors value is going to be 820ohms. So, it's not a bad way to use SMDs IMHO. But feel free to disagree.

Photomultiplier

Nov 22, 2022
There are only limited amounts of data actually required to design most items so a 'book of everything' would not only be VAST but overkill for the most part.
Over the decades I've downloaded all the datasheets I've ever needed and barely gone back to them since the day I did it - I have Gb of datasheets on a portable drive....wasting space I suppose???
Start your own collection and see what I mean.
Well, I do hope to use those datasheets and the parts quite a bit. Granted, I may never get to be an EE, like I want, but I am still going to try.
With respect to my own collection, I visit them now and again because I haven't memorized this or that. For example, the last 2 datasheets I looked up I wanted to know the power consumption (0.36W) and lifespan of a relay I have (100,000 switches). And I wanted to know what the voltage difference the lm317 could withstand between it's input and output pins (37v recommended). Growing up, my resources were magnet wire, LEDs, resistors, a few motors, and some batteries. And I had no datasheets for anything. I just had to guess; sometimes I didn't even know what the components were previously inside, so I was really in the dark on those things.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It's for running an SMD LED off of a 12v source.
You can under-run LEDs quite significantly before noticing a lack of brilliance from the LED - depends on the colour you're using - so the actual resistor dissipation could be significantly lower if you wanted.
And I had no datasheets for anything. I just had to guess; sometimes I didn't even know what the components were previously inside, so I was really in the dark on those things.
Of course, but these days things are very different and data is usually available free of charge and in copious amounts. There are even routes to free components if you know the method. These days the data is more about physical sizes and soldering pad dimensions than the parts themselves!
Keeping an ORGANIZED database yourself is good practice and print out the most useful sheets and keep in a handy ring-binder as you'll refer to them a lot.

Captain.Kernel

Apr 24, 2023
Three books actually, I recommend these after I spent some time looking at what's out there. I formally studied electronics in the early 1980s at a college in the UK so I'm somewhat knowledgeable but rusty (I work in software, never did work professionally in electronics as such) these are very good, I bought them recently as I began to resurrect my own interest in the subject:

The Art of Electronics
Practical Electronics for Inventors
Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits

These three give excellent coverage, where one book might be a little light the others make up for it. Despite the slightly cheesy title of that second book, it is actually excellent, much more detailed and theoretical than that title might suggest.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
There is a good reference book "The Art of Electronics" from Horowitz and Hill. Try it!
A couple of gripes I have with that pub. is they show power-common as Earth GND all the way through, also do not list the common symbol listing for schematic and ladder DWG.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
For the true absolute beginner with no prior engineering experience AoE might as well have been written in hieroglyphs.