Maker Pro
Maker Pro

L.E.D testing

BrainPain

Jan 15, 2023
Hello,
I'm more of a amateur Hobbyist. My question is how do you test L.E.D's for quality? Make sure there exactly right. I have built a couple of kits Ordered from Aliexpress One is a Rotating L.E.D round clock the time in the middle and 60 small L.E.D's that do animation's I've replaced one to fix a effect that made it look like the clock was over heating it would light some times than quitthe clockis working since I replaced it the clock works fine now for a couple of days. I see all of the coin holder test and use the diode setting on your Multimeter stuff I'm just wondering if there are any better ways to test L.E.D's

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Common test is to test for brightness to match them for consistency in
displays and signage.....

For that a simple photocell can be used, force a known current thru
each, and measure the brightness (photocell resistance).

Multimeter diode test forces a current thru DUT and its V measured.
But how good is the current regulation I do not know.

Regards, Dana.

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
There are a few different ways to test L.E.D.s for quality:

Visual inspection: This is the simplest way to check for any obvious defects in the L.E.D. Look for cracks, discoloration, or other damage to the L.E.D.'s housing.

Resistance test: Use a multimeter set to the resistance (ohms) setting to check the resistance of the L.E.D. A healthy L.E.D. should have a low resistance, typically around 20-30 ohms. The L.E.D. may be damaged or faulty if the resistance is too high.

Voltage test: Use a multimeter to the voltage setting to check the voltage drop across the L.E.D. A healthy L.E.D. should have a voltage drop of around 1.8-2.2V. However, the L.E.D. may be damaged or faulty if the voltage drop is too high or too low.

Brightness test: Compare the brightness of the L.E.D. with a known good L.E.D. of the same type. It may be damaged or faulty if the L.E.D. is dimmer than a healthy L.E.D.

Current test: A current test can be done with a multimeter with current measurement capability. A healthy L.E.D. should have a low current consumption and should not exceed the maximum rating of the L.E.D.

It's worth noting that the above is the basic test you can perform on L.E.D. More advanced testing methods are also available, but they are generally used in manufacturing and quality control settings.

Since you have a clock working fine for a few days, you can consider your replacement a success. Of course, it's always a good idea to have a small stock of L.E.D. to replace faulty ones.