Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Landline (VOIP) Caller ID

OldMan

Aug 24, 2022
I need to get the caller ID phone number from a VOIP phone line so I can input it into an Arduino. So I was thinking why not buy one of those $20-30 caller ID boxes that display the caller ID number on the box’s LED and instead just input it to my project. I just don’t know how to do it. I’m sure the schematic for the box in question would be needed. But that as far as I go. If someone could help me I will get a box with the schematic that belongs to it. The Arduino project is already programmed. Thanks in advance

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Landline VOIP?
Isn’t it by definition over the internet?. VOIP is tied to an account and needs registration. At least as far as I once read.

Martin

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
A VOIP phone can get calls from normal LL or Mobile phones when one end is switched to a virtual directory number. Callcentric is one such operator.
AFAIK, VOIP does not support Caller ID.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Perhaps that depends on country/provider.
I'm in the UK and have a VOIP land-line phone contract with caller ID.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
Perhaps that depends on country/provider.
I'm in the UK and have a VOIP land-line phone contract with caller ID.
If the VOIP network (FTTH) is part of the public network, yes it is possible. But not sure if a VOIP network can carry the caller ID from a Mobile or LL phone.

OldMan

Aug 24, 2022
I live in the US. VOIP carry's caller ID. All my house phones display the caller ID when the phone rings. The caller ID info is transmitted between the 1st and 2nd rings. Let get past all this, I have caller ID, it works fine, how do I get it out of a caller ID box

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
FTTH is "fiber to the home": its a LL with optical couplers, not a VOIP, which is "voice over internet protocol" they are two completely different things. Personally, I like satellite, they have a requirement that says they can't bullshit you for a specific amount of time, and they limit updates and downloads until after peak hours. That keeps you from doing SOTM "spur of the moment" updates of stuff you don't need and keeps our drives from getting filled with extensible cookies. LL and VOIP are not that way, they aren't required to deliver any live content at all. What you need is the code for the ID switch box.... something like, dim hugetuples(10digit.display.read) as n compare n,your caller id here if = then Do your program just an idea. do you index? you might compare n,callers.cls if exist (then do each numbers program)

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
No sir. FTTH is a pure internet connect with voice on internet protocol - VOIP.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hmm, FTTH is fiber to the home and FTTB is fiber to the building/basement. VOIP is voice over internet protocol.
At least it used to be.

Martin

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
I live in the US. VOIP carry's caller ID. All my house phones display the caller ID when the phone rings. The caller ID info is transmitted between the 1st and 2nd rings. Let get past all this, I have caller ID, it works fine, how do I get it out of a caller ID box
The caller ID is sent by FSK or DTMF between the rings. In my country, it is DTMF, and in US it is FSK (?).
You can tap the display outputs or make a decoder.